KIA Niro: Battery (Plug-in hybrid)
For best battery service
* The battery is located in the right side of the luggage room.
- Keep the battery securely mounted.
- Keep the battery top clean and dry.
- Keep the terminals and connections clean, tight, and coated with petroleum jelly or terminal grease.
- Rinse any spilled electrolyte from the battery immediately with a solution of water and baking soda.
- If the vehicle is not going to be used for an extended time, disconnect the battery cables.
Always read the following instructions carefully when handling a battery.
Hydrogen, a highly combustible gas, is always present in battery cells and may explode if ignited.
Keep batteries out of the reach of children because batteries contain highly corrosive SULFURIC ACID. Do not allow battery acid to contact your skin, eyes, clothing or paint finish.
If any electrolyte gets into your eyes, flush your eyes with clean water for at least 15 minutes and get immediate medical attention.
If electrolyte gets on your skin, thoroughly wash the contacted area. If you feel pain or burning sensation, get medical attention immediately.
Wear eye protection when charging or working near a battery.
Always provide ventilation when working in an enclosed space.
An inappropriately disposed battery can be harmful to the environment and human health.
Dispose the battery according to your local law(s) or regulation.
- When lifting a plastic-cased battery, excessive pressure on the case may cause battery acid to leak, resulting in personal injury. Lift with a battery carrier or with your hands on opposite corners.
- Never attempt to recharge the battery when the battery cables are connected.
- The electrical ignition system works with high voltage. Never touch these components with the engine running or the vehicle is in ON position.
Failure to follow the above warnings can result in serious bodily injury or death.
If you connect unauthorized electronic devices to the battery, the battery may be discharged. Never use unauthorized devices.
Your vehicle is equipped with maintenance free battery. If your vehicle is equipped with the battery marked with LOWER and UPPER on the side, you can check the electrolyte level. The electrolyte level should be between LOWER and UPPER. If the electrolyte level is low, it needs to add distilled (demineralized) water (Never add sulfuric acid or other electrolyte). When refill, be careful not to splash the battery and adjacent components.
And do not overfill the battery cells. It can cause corrosion on other parts. Make sure that the cell caps are tightened.
Contact a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual