KIA Niro: Checking the tire pressure
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) (if equipped)
- Low tire pressure telltale /TPMS malfunction indicator
- Low tire pressure position telltale (Shown on the LCD display)
Check tire pressure
- You can check the tire pressure in the assist mode on the cluster.
- Refer to "LCD display modes"
- Tire pressure is displayed 1~2 minutes later after driving.
- If tire pressure is not displayed when the vehicle is stopped, "Drive to display" message displays. After driving, check the tire pressure.
- You can change the tire pressure unit in the user settings mode on the cluster.
- psi, kpa, bar Refer to "User settings mode"
Each tire should be checked monthly when cold and inflated to the inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label.
(If your vehicle has tires of a different size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label, you should determine the proper tire inflation pressure for those tires.) As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that appear a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is significantly under-inflated. Accordingly, when the low tire pressure telltale appear, you should stop and check your tires as soon as possible, and inflate them to the proper pressure.
Driving on a significantly underinflated tire causes the tire to overheat and can lead to tire failure.
Under-inflation also reduces electric energy efficiency and tire tread life, and may affect the vehicle's handling and stopping ability.
Note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver's responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if underinflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale. Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately 1 minute and then remain continuously appeared.
This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists. When the TPMS malfunction indicator remains appeared after blinking for approximately 1 minute, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended.
TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.
Significantly low tire pressure makes the vehicle unstable and can contribute to loss of vehicle control and increased braking distances.
Continued driving on low pressure tires can cause the tires to overheat and fail.
- In winter or cold weather, the low tire pressure telltale may appear if the tire pressure was adjusted to the recommended tire inflation pressure in warm weather. It does not mean your TPMS is malfunctioning because the decreased temperature leads to a lowering of tire pressure.
- When you drive your vehicle from a warm area to a cold area or from a cold area to a warm area, or the outside temperature is higher or lower, you should check the tire inflation pressure and adjust the tires to the recommended tire inflation pressure.
- When filling tires with more air, conditions to turn off the low tire pressure telltale may not be met. This is because a tire inflator has a margin of error in performance. The low tire pressure telltale will be turned off if the tire pressure is above the recommended tire inflation pressure.
If any of the below happens, have the system checked by a professional workshop.
Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- The low tire pressure telltale/TPMS malfunction indicator do not appear for 3 seconds when the vehicle is in ON position or vehicle is running.
- The TPMS malfunction indicator remains appeared after blinking for approximately 1 minute.
- The Low tire pressure position telltale remains appeared.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual