KIA Niro: Door locks inside the vehicle
Unlocking with the door handle
- Front door
If the inner door handle is pulled once when the door is locked, the door will unlock and open.
- Rear door
If the inner door handle is pulled once when the door is locked, the door will unlock. If the inner door handle is pulled once more, the door will open.
- If a power door lock ever fails to function while you are in the vehicle, try one or more of the following techniques to exit:
- Operate the door unlock feature repeatedly (both electronic and manual) while simultaneously pulling on the door handle.
- Operate the other door locks and handles, front and rear.
- Lower a front window and use the key to unlock the door from outside.
- Move to the cargo area and open the tailgate.
- Do not pull the inner door handle of driver's (or passenger's) door while the vehicle is moving.
Locking/unlocking with the central door lock switch
- Door lock button
- Door unlock button
- Door indicator light
Press the corresponding button below.
- Switch (1): Lock
- Switch (2): Unlock
- When all vehicle doors are locked, the door indicator light (3) on the driver's door and passenger's door will turn on. If any door is unlocked, it would go off.
- If the key is in the vehicle (or if the smart key is in the vehicle) and any door is opened, the doors will not lock even though the central door lock switch is pressed.
- The doors should always be fully closed and locked while the vehicle is in motion to prevent accidental opening of the door. Locked doors will also discourage potential intruders when the vehicle stops or slows down.
- Be careful when opening doors and watch for vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians approaching the vehicle in the path of the door. Opening a door when something is approaching can cause damage or injury.
- Leaving your vehicle unlocked can invite theft or possible harm to you or others from someone hiding in your vehicle while you are gone. Always remove the ignition key, engage the parking brake, close all windows and lock all doors when leaving your vehicle unattended.
- Unattended children, the elderly or pets
An enclosed vehicle can become extremely hot, causing death or severe injury such as heatstroke to unattended children, the elderly or pets who cannot escape the vehicle.
When left or trapped in a hot vehicle, make sure to stay hydrated and avoid sun exposure through the vehicle's windshield. Furthermore, children might operate features of the vehicle that could injure them, or they could encounter other harm, possibly from someone gaining entry to the vehicle.
Never leave children or animals unattended in your vehicle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual