KIA Niro: Immobilizer system
The immobilizer system reduces the risk of unauthorized vehicle use.
It is comprised of a small transponder in the ignition switch and electronic devices inside the vehicle. It checks and determines and verifies if the ignition key is valid or not.
If the key is valid, the engine will start. If the key is invalid, the engine will not start.
Vehicles with the remote key (Kia NIRO Hybrid)
- To deactivate the immobilizer system, insert the mechanical key into the ignition switch and turn to the ON position.
- To activate the immobilizer system, turn the mechanical key to the OFF position.
- The immobilizer system activates automatically. Without a valid remote key for your vehicle, the vehicle will not start.
Vehicles with the smart key (if equipped)
Deactivating the immobilizer system
- Change the EV button to the ON position.
Activating the immobilizer system
Operation- (Kia Niro EV only)
Change the EV button to the OFF position.
The immobilizer system activates automatically. Without a valid smart key for your vehicle, the vehicle will not start.
Operation- (Kia Niro Hybrid only)
- To deactivate the immobilizer system, press the ENGINE START/STOP button to the ON position.
- To activate the immobilizer system, press the ENGINE START/STOP button to the OFF position.
- The immobilizer system activates automatically. Without a valid smart key for your vehicle, the vehicle will not start.
In order to prevent theft of your vehicle, do not leave spare keys anywhere in your vehicle. Your immobilizer password is a customer unique password and should be kept confidential. Do not leave this number anywhere in your vehicle.
- Do not put metal accessories near the EV button. Metal accessories may interrupt the transponder signal and may prevent the vehicle from being started.
- The transponder in your EV button is
an important part of the immobilizer
system. It is designed to give years of
trouble-free service, however you
should avoid exposure to moisture,
static electricity and rough handling.
immobilizer system malfunction could occur.
- Do not change, alter or adjust the
immobilizer system because it could
cause the immobilizer system to malfunction.
In this case, have the system serviced by a professional workshop.
Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Malfunctions caused by improper alterations, adjustments or modifications to the immobilizer system are not covered by your vehicle manufacturer warranty.
- Do not attempt to alter this system or add other devices to it. Electrical problems could result that may make your vehicle inoperable.
When starting the vehicle, do not use the key with other immobilizer keys around. Otherwise the vehicle may not start or may stop soon after it starts. Keep each key separately in order to avoid a starting malfunction.
If you need additional keys or lose your keys, Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual