KIA Niro: Rocking the vehicle
If it is necessary to rock the vehicle to free it from snow, sand, or mud, first turn the steering wheel right and left to clear the area around your front wheels.
Then, shift back and forth between R (Reverse) and any forward gear.
Do not race the engine, and spin the wheels as little as possible. If you are still stuck after a few tries, have the vehicle pulled out by a tow vehicle to avoid engine overheating and possible damage to the transmission.
Do not attempt to rock the vehicle if people or objects are nearby. The vehicle may suddenly move forward or backwards as it becomes unstuck.
- Prolonged rocking may cause vehicle overheating, transmission damage or failure, and tire damage.
- Do not spin the wheels, especially at
speeds more than 56 km/h (35 mph).
Spinning the wheels at high speeds when the vehicle is stationary could overheat and damage tires, and the rotating wheels may fly away and injure bystanders.
The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) should be turned OFF prior to rocking the vehicle.
Avoid braking or gear changing in corners, especially when roads are wet. Ideally, corners should always be taken under gentle acceleration. If you follow these suggestions, tire wear will be held to a minimum.
Driving at night
Because night driving presents more hazards than driving in the daylight, here are some important tips to remember:
- Slow down and keep more distance between you and other vehicles, as it may be more difficult to see at night, especially in areas where there may not be any street lights.
- Adjust your mirrors to reduce the glare from other driver's headlights.
- Keep your headlights clean and properly aimed. (On vehicles not equipped with the automatic headlight aiming feature.) Dirty or improperly aimed headlights will make it much more difficult to see at night.
- Avoid staring directly at the headlights of oncoming vehicles. You could be temporarily blinded, and it will take several seconds for your eyes to readjust to the darkness.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual