KIA Niro: Hazardous driving conditions
If driving conditions deteriorate due to poor weather or road conditions, you should pay even more attention than usual.
When hazardous driving conditions are encountered such as water, snow, ice, mud, sand, or similar hazards, follow these suggestions:
- Drive cautiously and allow extra distance for braking.
- Avoid sudden braking or steering.
- Do not pump the brake pedal on a vehicle equipped with ABS.
- If stalled in snow, mud, or sand, use the second gear. Accelerate slowly to avoid spinning the drive wheels.
- Use sand, rock salt, or other nonslip material under the drive wheels to provide traction when stalled in ice, snow, or mud.
Reducing the risk of a rollover
This multi-purpose passenger vehicle is defined as a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV).
Utility vehicles have a significantly higher rollover rate than other types of vehicles. SUVs have higher ground clearance and a narrower track to make them capable of performing in a wide variety of offroad applications.
Specific design characteristics give them a higher center of gravity than ordinary vehicles. An advantage of the higher ground clearance is a better view of the road, which allows you to anticipate problems.
They are not designed for cornering at the same speeds as conventional passenger vehicles, any more than lowslung sports vehicles are designed to perform satisfactorily in off-road conditions.
Due to this risk, driver and passengers are strongly recommended to buckle their seat belts.
In a rollover crash, an unbelted person is significantly more likely to die than a person wearing a seat belt. There are steps that a driver can make to reduce the risk of a rollover.
If at all possible, avoid sharp turns or abrupt maneuvers, do not load your roof rack with heavy cargo, and never modify your vehicle in any way.
- Your vehicle is equipped with tires designed to provide safe ride and handling capability. Do not use tires and wheels that are different in size and type from the originally installed ones. It can affect the safety and performance of your vehicle, which could lead to steering failure or rollover and serious injury. When replacing the tires, be sure to equip all four tires with the tire and wheel of the same size, type, tread, brand and load-carrying capacity.
- As with other Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV), failure to operate this vehicle correctly may result in loss of control, an accident or vehicle rollover.
- Utility vehicles have a significantly higher rollover rate than other types of vehicles.
- Specific design characteristics (higher ground clearance, narrower track, etc.) give this vehicle a higher center of gravity than ordinary vehicles.
- A SUV is not designed for cornering at the same speeds as conventional vehicles.
- Avoid sharp turns or abrupt maneuvers.
- In a rollover crash, an unbelted person
is significantly more likely to die
than a person wearing a seat belt.
Make sure everyone in the vehicle is properly buckled up.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual