KIA Niro: Ignition System
Ignition timing is controlled by the electronic control ignition timing
system. The standard reference
ignition timing data for the engine operating conditions are preprogrammed in
the memory of the ECM
(Engine Control Module).
The engine operating conditions (speed, load, warm-up condition, etc.) are
detected by the various
sensors. Based on these sensor signals and the ignition timing data, signals to interrupt the primary
current are sent to the ECM. The ignition coil is activated, and timing is controlled.
Inspect ignition coil assembly and Perform spark test
- Check for DTCs.
If a DTC is present, perform Troubleshooting in accordance with the procedure for that DTC. (Refer to DTC guide)
- Check if sparks occur.
(1) Remove the engine cover.
(2) Remove the ignition coils.
(Refer to Ignition System - "Ignition Coil")
(3) Using a spark plug wrench, remove the spark plugs.
(4) Disconnect the injector extension connectors.
(5) Ground the spark plug to the engine.
(6) Check if sparks occur at each spark plug while engine is being cranked.
Do not crank the engine for more then 5 seonds.
- If sparks do not occur, perform the following test.
- Using a spark plug wrench, install spark plugs.
- Install the ignition coils.
- Install the engine cover.
An ignition coil is an induction coil in an engine's ignition system which transforms the battery's low voltage to the high voltage needed to create an electric spark in the spark plugs to ignite the fuel. Coils have an internal resistor while others rely on a resistor wire or an external resistor to limit the current flowing into the coil from the battery 12 V supply.
Ignition Coil Connector Terminal Function
Ignition Coil Terminal Function
Ignition Coil (Cylinder #1)
Ignition Coil (Cylinder #2)
Ignition Coil (Cylinder #3)
Ignition Coil (Cylinder #4)
Connector assembly status test
- Remove the connector (A) and reinstall it.
Test for changing position of each ignition coil
- Ignition coil w/ misfire code
- Ignition coil w/o misfire code
Do not move with spark plug at the same time (move the ignition coil only)
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual