KIA Niro: Jump-starting (12V battery) (Kia Niro EV)
Jump-starting (12V battery)
- When the vehicle will not start due to low battery power
- Connect the jumper cables as shown.
- Positive (+) terminal of the flat battery (1) and the booster battery (2).
- Negative (-) terminal of the flat battery (3) and the grounding point (4).
- Start the vehicle with the booster battery for several minutes.
- Try to start the vehicle with the flat battery again.
- If the vehicle starts, disconnect the jumper cables as following:
- Negative (-) terminal of the booster battery (3).
- Positive (+) terminal of the booster battery (2)
- Flat battery (1), (4).
If the vehicle still does not start, contact a professional workshop or seek other qualified assistance. Kia recommends to call an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- Keep all flames or sparks away from the battery. The battery produces hydrogen gas which may explode if exposed to flame or sparks. If these instructions are not followed exactly, serious personal injury and damage to the vehicle may occur! If you are not sure how to follow this procedure, seek qualified assistance. Automobile batteries contain sulfuric acid. This is poisonous and highly corrosive. When jump starting, wear protective glasses and be careful not to get acid on yourself, your clothing or on the vehicle.
- Do not attempt to jump start the vehicle if the discharged battery is frozen or if the electrolyte level is low; the battery may rupture or explode.
- Do not allow the (+) and (-) jumper cables to touch. It may cause sparks.
- Never attempt to check the electrolyte level of the battery as this may cause the battery to rupture or explode causing serious injury.
- The battery may rupture or explode when you jump start with a low or frozen battery.
- The electrical starting system works with high voltage. NEVER touch these components with the READY indicator ON or when the EV button is in the ON position.
Do not connect the jumper cable from the negative terminal of the booster battery to the negative terminal of the discharged battery. This can cause the discharged battery to overheat and crack, releasing battery acid. Make sure to connect one end of the jumper cable to the negative terminal of the booster battery, and the other end to a metallic point, far away from the battery.
Your vehicle equipped with reduction gear should not be push-started.
Never tow a vehicle to start it. When the vehicle starts, the vehicle can suddenly surge forward and could cause a collision with the tow vehicle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual