KIA Niro: DC charge
You can charge at high speeds at public charging stations. Refer to the respective company's manual that is provided for each DC charger type.
Battery performance and durability can deteriorate if the DC charger is used constantly.
Use of DC charge should be minimized in order to help prolong high voltage battery life.
Actual charger image and charging method may vary in accordance with the charger manufacturer.
How to connect DC charger
- Depress the brake pedal and apply the parking brake.
- urn OFF all switches, shift to P (Park), and turn OFF the vehicle.
- Open the charging door.
For more details, refer to "Charging door".
- Check whether there is dust or foreign substances inside the charging connector and charging inlet.
- Hold the charging connector handle and connect it to the vehicle charging inlet. Push the connector all the way in. If the charging connector and charging terminal are not connected properly, this may cause a fire. Refer to the manual for each type of DC charger for how to charge and remove the charger.
- Check if the charging indicator light
of the high voltage battery in the
instrument cluster is turned ON.
Charging is not active when the charging indicator light ( ) is OFF.
When the charging connector is not connected properly, reconnect the charging cable to charge it again.
During cold weather, DC charging may not be available to prevent high voltage battery degradation.
- After charging has started, the estimated charging time is displayed on the instrument cluster for about 1 minute. If you open the driver seat door while charging, the estimated charging time is also displayed on the instrument cluster for about 1 minute.
A: Remaining Time
Checking charging status
When charging the high voltage battery, the charge level can be checked from outside the vehicle.
For more details, refer to "Charge indicator lamp for electric vehicle"
How to disconnect DC charger
- Remove the charging connector when
DC charging is completed, or after
you stop charging using the DC charger.
Refer to each respective DC charger manual for details about how to disconnect the charging connector.
- Make sure to completely close the charging door.
- If you use a DC charger when the vehicle is already fully charged, some DC chargers will send out an error message. When the vehicle is fully charged, do not charge the vehicle.
- If you cannot open the charging door due to freezing weather, tap lightly or remove any ice near the charging door. Do not try to forcibly open the charging door.
- To control the temperature of the high
voltage battery while charging, the air
conditioner is used to cool down the
battery which may generate noise
from operation of the air conditioner
compressor and cooling fan.
Also, the air conditioner's performance may be degraded during summer due to operation of the cooling system for the high voltage battery.
- Even though charging is possible with
the EV button in the ON/START position,
for you safety, start charging
when the EV button is in the OFF position
and the vehicle shifted to P
(Park). After charging has started, you
can use electrical components such as
the radio by pressing the EV button to
the ACC or ON position.
During charging, the gear cannot be shifted from P (Park) to any other gear.
- Depending on the condition and durability of the high voltage battery, charger specifications, and ambient temperature, the time required for charging the battery may vary
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual