KIA Niro: Energy flow
The hybrid system informs the drivers its energy flow in various operating modes.
While driving, the current energy flow is specified in 11 modes.
A: Idle Mode
The vehicle is stopped.
(No energy flow)
A: Electric Mode
Only the motor power is used to drive the vehicle.
(Battery ? Wheel)
A: Hybrid Mode
Both the motor and the engine power are used to drive the vehicle.
(Battery & Engine ? Wheel)
Engine only propulsion
A: Engine Mode
Only the engine power is used to drive the vehicle.
(Engine ? Wheel)
When the vehicle is stopped, the highvoltage battery is charged up by the engine.
(Engine ? Battery)
The high-voltage battery is charged up by the regenerative brake system.
(Wheel ? Battery)
A: Engine Braking
The engine braking is used to decelerate the vehicle.
(Wheel ? Engine)
The engine is simultaneously used to drive the vehicle and to charge up the high-voltage battery.
(Engine ? Wheel & Battery)
Engine generation/motor drive
The engine charges up the high-voltage battery. The motor power is used to drive the vehicle.
(Engine ? Battery ? Wheel)
The engine and regenerative brake system charges up the high-voltage battery.
(Engine & Wheel ? Battery)
The engine braking is simultaneously used to decelerate the vehicle and to charge up the high-voltage battery.
(Wheel ? Engine & Battery)
Start engine to avoid battery discharge
A: Start engine to avoid battery discharge
If the engine is not turned on with the ENGINE START/STOP button in ACC or ON for a while, the battery can be discharged discharged.
Please turn on the engine to prevent 12V battery from discharge.
Aux. Battery Saver+
The Aux. Battery Saver+ is a function that monitors the charging status of the 12V auxiliary battery. If the auxiliary battery level is low, the main high voltage battery charges the auxiliary battery.
The Aux. Battery Saver+ function will be ON when the vehicle is delivered.
- Cycle Mode: When the vehicle is OFF with all doors, hood and tailgate closed, the Aux. Battery Saver+ periodically activates according to the auxiliary battery status.
- Automatic Mode: When the ENGINE START/STOP button is in the ON position with the charging connector plugged in, the function activates according to the auxiliary battery status to prevent over-discharge of the auxiliary battery.
- The Aux. Battery Saver+ activates for
a maximum of 20 minutes. If the Aux.
Battery Saver+ function activates more than 10 times consecutively, in the Automatic Mode the function will stop activating, judging that there is a problem with the auxiliary battery. In this case, drive the vehicle for some period of time. The function will start activating if the auxiliary battery returns to normal.
- The Aux. Battery Saver+ function cannot prevent battery discharge if the auxiliary battery is damaged, worn out, used as a power supply or unauthorized electronic devices are used.
The driver can activate the Aux. Battery Saver+ function by placing the ENGINE START/STOP button to the ON position.
When the function is activating the charging indicator lamp will quickly blink and high voltage electricity will be flowing in the vehicle. Do not touch the high voltage electric wire (orange), connector, and all electric components and devices.
This may cause electric shock and lead to injuries. Also, do not modify your vehicle in any way. This may affect your vehicle performance and lead to an accident.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual