KIA Niro: Engine Oil Repair procedures
- Prolonged and repeated contact with mineral oil will result in the removal of natural fats from the skin, leading to dryness, irritation and dermatitis. In addition, used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin cancer.
- Exercise caution in order to minimize the length and frequency of contact of your skin to used oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves. Wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water, or use water-less hand cleaner, to remove any used engine oil. Do not use gasoline, thinners, or solvents.
- In order to preserve the environment, dispose of used oil and oil filter only at designated disposal sites.
- Drain the engine oil.
(1) Remove the oil filler cap (A).
(2) Remove the drain under cover (A).
(3) Remove the oil drain plug (A) and drain oil into a container.
- Replace the oil filter (A).
(1) Remove the oil filter cover (A).
(2) Using the SST (09263-2E000), remove the oil filter.
(3) Check and clean the oil filter installation surface.
(4) Check that the part number of the new oil filter is the same as the old one.
(5) Apply clean engine oil to the gasket of a new oil filter.
(6) Lightly screw the oil filter into place, and tighten it until the gasket contacts the seat.
(7) Tighten it to the torque below.
Tightening torque : 11.8 - 15.7 N*m (1.2 - 1.6 kgf*m, 8.7 - 11.6 lb*ft)
(8) Install the oil filter cover (A).
- Fill with new engine oil.
(1) Install the oil drain plug (A) with a new gasket.
Tightening torque : 34.3 - 44.1 N*m (3.5 - 4.5 kgf*m, 25.3 - 32.5 lb*ft)
(2) Install the drain under cover (A).
(3) Fill with new engine oil, after removing the engine oil level gauge.
4.1 L (1.08 U.S.gal., 4.33 U.S.qt., 3.61 lmp.qt.) Oil pan :
3.4 L (0.90 U.S.gal., 3.59 U.S.qt., 2.99 lmp.qt.) Drain and refill including oil filter : 3.8 L (1.00 U.S.gal., 4.02 U.S.qt., 3.34 lmp.qt.)
(4) Install the oil filler cap (A).
- Start engine and check for oil leaks and check the oil gauge or light for an indication of oil pressure.
- Recheck the engine oil level.
- To reset the service interval to the recommended mileage, refer to the service mode section in the owner's manual for procedure (if applicable).
- Check the engine oil quality.
Check the oil deterioration, entry of water, discoloring or thinning. If the quality is visibly poor, replace the oil.
- Check the engine oil level.
After warming up the engine, stop the engine for 5 minutes, then check the oil level. Oil level should be between the "L" and "F" marks on the dipstick. If it is low, check for leakage and add oil up to the "F" mark.
Do not fill with engine oil above the "F" mark.
Selection of Engine Oil
ACEA A5 or above / 5W-30
Allowed oil grade
- API SL or above
- ILSAC GF-3 or above
- ACEA A3 or above
Allowed SAE Viscosity
For best performance and maximum protection of all types of operation, select only those lubricants which: 1) Satisfy the requirement of the ILSAC (API) or ACEA classification.
2) Have proper SAE grade number for expected ambient temperature range.
3) Lubricants that do not have both an SAE grade number and ILSAC (API) or ACEA service classification on the container should not be used.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual