KIA Niro: Good driving practices
KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual / Driving your vehicle / Before driving / Good driving practices
- Never change the gear from P (Park) or N (Neutral) to any other position with the accelerator pedal depressed.
- Never change the gear into P (Park) when the vehicle is moving.
- Stop the vehicle completely before changing the gear into R (Reverse) or D (Drive).
- Never change the gear to N (Neutral) and coast down the hill. This is extremely hazardous. Always change the gear to R (Reverse) or D (Drive). when the vehicle is moving.
- Do not "ride" the brakes. It may cause
the brake to overheat and malfunction.
Use the engine brake to drive down the long hill.
- Slow down before shifting to a lower gear.
- Always use the parking brake. Do not depend on P (Park) to keep the vehicle from moving.
- Exercise extreme caution when driving on a slippery surface. Be especially careful when braking, accelerating or shifting gears. The vehicle speed can change abruptly, causing the tires to lose traction and the vehicle go out of control.
- Obtain the optimum vehicle performance by driving smoothly.
- If your vehicle becomes stuck in snow, mud, sand, etc., then you may attempt to rock the vehicle free by moving it forward and backward. Do not attempt this procedure if people or objects are anywhere near the vehicle. During the rocking operation the vehicle may suddenly move forward or backward as it becomes unstuck, causing injury or damage to nearby people or objects.
- When driving uphill or downhill, always shift to D (Drive) for driving forward or shift to R (Reverse) for driving backwards, and check the gear position indicated on the cluster before driving. Driving in the opposite direction of the selected gear can lead to a dangerous situation by shutting off the vehicle and affecting the braking performance.
- ALWAYS wear your seat belt. In a collision, an unbelted occupant is significantly more likely to be seriously injured or killed than a properly belted occupant.
- Avoid high speeds when cornering or turning.
- Do not make quick steering wheel movements, such as sharp lane changes or fast, sharp turns.
- The risk of a rollover is greatly increased if you lose control of your vehicle at highway speeds.
- Losing control often occurs if two or more wheels drop off the roadway and the driver oversteers to reenter the roadway.
- In the event your vehicle leaves the
roadway, do not steer sharply.
Instead, slow down before pulling back into the travel lanes.
- Never exceed posted speed limits.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual