KIA Niro: Highway Driving Assist operation
Displaying operating status
You can see the status of the Highway Driving Assist operation in the Driving Assist view on the cluster. Refer to "LCD display modes"
Highway Driving Assist will be displayed as below depending on the status of the function.
- Highway Driving Assist indicator, whether there is a vehicle ahead and the selected distance level are displayed.
- Highway Driving Assist indicator
- Green ( ): Operating state
- Grey ( ): Standby state
- White ( ) blink: Accelerator depressed state
- Set speed
- Lane Following Assist indicator
- Whether there is a vehicle ahead and the selected headway
- Whether the lane is detected or not
- For more details on the display refer to "Smart Cruise Control (SCC) (if equipped)"
- For more details on the display, refer to "Lane Following Assist (LFA) (if equipped)"
- The images and colors in the instrument cluster may differ depending on the cluster type or theme selected from the settings menu.
Highway Driving Assist operating
Highway Driving Assist operates when:
- When driving on available road, press Drive Assist button to turn on Highway Driving Assist.
- When entering the main roads of highways (or motorways) while Smart Cruise Control is operating, Driving Assist will not turn on if Lane Following Assist is turned off.
Restarting after stopping
A: Use switch or pedal to accelerate
When Highway Driving Assist is operating, your vehicle will stop if the vehicle ahead of you stops. Also, if the vehicle ahead of you starts moving within 30 seconds after the stop, your vehicle will start as well. In addition, after the vehicle has stopped and 30 seconds have passed, the message will appear on the cluster. Depress the accelerator pedal or operate the (+) switch, (-) switch or ( ) switch to start driving.
A: Keep hands on steering wheel
If the driver takes their hands off the steering wheel for several seconds, the 'Keep hands on the steering wheel' warning message will appear and an audible warning will sound in stages.
- First stage: Warning message
- Second stage: Warning message (red steering wheel) and audible warning
A: Highway Driving Assist (HDA) system cancelled
If the driver still does not have their hands on the steering wheel after the hands-off warning, warning message will appear and Highway Driving Assist will be automatically canceled.
Driving speed limit
A: Driver's grasp not detected. Driving speed will be limited
When Highway Driving Assist is canceled by the hands-off warning, The driving speed will be limited.
While Driving Speed Limit function is operating, the warning message will appear on the cluster, and an audible warning will sound continuously.
Driving to one side within lane (if equipped)
When vehicle speed is above 60 km/h (40 mph), if a vehicle around you is driving at a close distance, your vehicle will control steering in the opposite direction of the vehicle to assist in safe driving. If there are vehicles in both sides of the lane that are driving close to you, the function will not veer to the opposite side of the lane.
Highway Driving Assist standby
When the Smart Cruise Control is temporarily canceled while Highway Driving Assist is operating, Highway Driving Assist will be in the standby state. At this time, Lane Following Assist will operate properly.
Driving Speed Limit helps you drive below 60 km/h (40 mph). At this time, the vehicle decelerates due to the vehicle ahead. After the vehicle has decelerated, it cannot automatically accelerate.
Driving Speed Limit will cancel in the following circumstances:
- When the driver grabs the steering wheel again
- When the driver turns on Lane Following Assist by pressing the Lane Driving Assist button
- When (+), (-), ( ) switch or () button is operated, or the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal is depressed
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual