KIA Niro: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAPS)
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAPS) is a speed-density type sensor installed on the surge tank.
It senses absolute pressure of the surge tank and transfers the analog signal proportional to the pressure to the ECM. By using this signal, the ECM calculates the intake air quantity and engine speed.
The MAPS consists of a piezo-electric element and a hybrid IC amplifying the element output signal.
The element is made of silicon diaphragm, which has the pressure sensitive
variable resistor effect of
semi-conductor. One side of silicon diaphragm is 100% vacuum and manifold
pressure is applied on
the other side. Hence, output is gained from the silicon variation in proportion to the pressure change
- Connect the KDS on the Data Link Connector (DLC).
- Measure the output voltage of the MAPS during idle with IG ON.
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAPS) Repair procedures
- Switch "OFF" the ignition and disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
- Disconnect the manifold absolute pressure sensor connector (A).
- Remove the sensor (B) after loosening the mounting bolt from the intake manifold.
Manifold absolute pressure sensor mounting bolt: 9.8 - 11.8 N*m (1.0 - 1.2 kgf*m, 7.2 - 8.7 lb*ft)
- Install the component to the specified torque.
- Note that internal damage may occur when the component is dropped. If the component has been dropped, inspect before installing.
- Insert the sensor in the installation hole and be careful not to damage it.
- Install in the reverse order of removal.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual