KIA Niro: Parking Distance Warning malfunction and limitations
Parking Distance Warning malfunction
After starting the vehicle, a beep will sound when the gear is shifted to R (Reverse) to indicate Parking Distance Warning is operating properly.
However, if one or more of the following occurs, first check whether the ultrasonic sensor is damaged or blocked with foreign material. If it still does not work properly, Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- The direction of Parking Distance Warning sensor malfunction is shown on the instrument cluster.
A: Ultrasonic sensor error or blockage
Parking Distance Warning disabled
A: Parking Distance Warning system limited. Ultrasonic sensor blocked
If this occurs, the warning message appears on the cluster. Parking Distance Warning will operate properly when snow, rain or foreign material is removed. If Parking Distance Warning does not operate properly after obstruction (snow, rain, or foreign material) is removed (including trailer, carrier, etc., from the rear bumper), Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Limitations of Parking Distance Warning
- Parking Distance Warning may not operate properly when:
- Moisture is frozen to the sensor
- Sensor is covered with foreign substance, such as snow or water (Parking Distance Warning will operate properly when such substance is removed.)
- The weather is extremely hot or cold
- The sensor or sensor assembly is disassembled
- The surface of the sensor is pressed hard or hit with a hard object
- The surface of the sensor is scratched with a sharp object
- The sensors or its surrounding area is directly sprayed with high pressure washer
- Parking Distance Warning may malfunction when:
- Heavy rain or water spray is present
- Water flows on the surface of the sensor
- Affected by another vehicle's sensors
- The sensor is covered with snow or ice
- Driving on uneven road, gravel roads or bushes
- Objects that generates ultrasonic waves are near the sensor
- License plate is installed in a different spot from the original location
- The vehicle bumper height or ultrasonic sensor installation has been modified
- Attaching equipment or accessories next to the ultrasonic sensors
- The following objects may not be detected:
- Sharp or slim objects, such as ropes, chains or small poles.
- Narrow objects, such as corners of a square column
- Objects, which tend to absorb sensor frequency, such as clothes, spongy material or snow.
- Objects smaller than 100 cm (40 inches) in length and narrower than 14 cm (6 inches) in diameter.
- Pedestrians, animals or objects that are very close to the ultrasonic sensors
- Parking Distance Warning is a supplemental function. The operation of Parking Distance Warning can be affected by several factors (including environmental conditions). It is the responsibility of the driver to always check the front and rear views before and while parking.
- Your new vehicle warranty does not cover any accidents or damage to the vehicle due to the malfunction of Parking Distance Warning.
- Pay close attention when driving near objects, pedestrians, and especially children. Some objects may not be detected by the ultrasonic sensors, due to the objects distance, size or material, all of which can limit the effectiveness of the sensor.
- Parking Distance Warning does not warn you in the order of detection. It varies depending on the speed of the vehicle or the shape of a person, animal, or object.
- If the Parking Distance Warning does not operate properly, Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual