KIA Niro: Charging precautions
Fires caused by dust or water
Do not connect the charging cable connector plug to the vehicle if there is water or dust on the charging inlet. Connecting while there is water or dust on the charging cable connector and plug may cause a fire or electric shock. There may be a risk of fire and injury when using old worn out public electrical outlets.
Interference with electronic medical devices
When using medical electric devices such as an implantable cardiac pacemaker, make sure to ask the medical team and manufacturer whether charging your electric vehicle will impact the operation of the medical devices. In some instances, electromagnetic waves that are generated from the charger can seriously impact medical electric devices such as an implantable cardiac pacemaker.
Touching the charging connector
Do not touch the charging connector, charging plug, and the charging inlet when connecting the cable to the charger and the charging inlet on the vehicle.
Doing so may result in electrocution.
- Comply with the following in order to prevent electrical shock when charging:
- Use a waterproof charger
- Make sure to not touch the charging connector and charging plug when your hand is wet
- Do not charge when there is lightning
- Do not charge when the charging connector and plug is wet
- Immediately stop charging when you find abnormal symptoms (smell, smoke, etc.).
- Replace the charging cable if the cable coating is damaged to prevent electrical shock.
- When connecting or removing the charging cable, make sure to hold the charging connector handle and charging plug.
If you pull the cable itself (without using the handle), the internal wires may disconnect or get damaged. This may lead to electric shock or fire.
Do not touch the cooling fan while vehicle is charging. When the vehicle is switched OFF while charging, the cooling fan inside the motor compartment may automatically operate.
- Always keep the charging connector and charging plug in clean and dry condition. Be sure to keep the charging cable in a condition where there is no water or moisture.
- Make sure to use the designated
charger for charging the vehicle.
Using any other charger may cause failure.
- Before charging the battery, turn the vehicle OFF.
- Be careful not to drop the charging connector. The charging connector can be damaged.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual