KIA Niro: Power tailgate
Operating the power tailgate
- Press the power tailgate open/close
button inside the vehicle or with the
smart key for 1 second. The power
tailgate opens with a warning sound.
Press and hold the power tailgate open/close button inside the vehicle or with the smart key to close the tailgate.
- While the tailgate is opening, press the power tailgate open/close button again to stop tailgate operation.
- If you release the power tailgate open/close button while the tailgate is closing, or the smart key is not within operation range (approximately 10 m (33 ft.)) from the vehicle, power tailgate operation will stop with a warning sound for 5 seconds.
- The tailgate will open or close with a
warning sound when the power tailgate
open/close button outside the
If the vehicle is locked, press the power tailgate open/close button outside the vehicle with the smart key in your possession.
- Press the power tailgate open/close button inside the tailgate. The tailgate opens or closes with a warning sound.
- When the gear is in P (Park) with the vehicle in ON position
- When the vehicle is in OFF position
- The vehicle speed is above 3 km/h (1.8 mph)
If the power tailgate senses any obstacle, the tailgate will stop or will fully open.
- If the power tailgate senses any obstacles
- If the detected resistance is below a certain level
- If the tailgate is almost fully closed near the latched position
- If a strong impact is applied with no obstructions placed
- Never leave children or animals unattended in your vehicle. Children may operate the power tailgate. Doing so can result in injury to themselves or others and can damage the vehicle.
- Make sure that there are no people or
objects in the path of the power tailgate
or smart tailgate prior to use.
Serious injury, damage to the vehicle or damage to surrounding objects (for example, walls, ceilings, vehicles, etc.) may result if contact with the tailgate occurs.
- A: 70 cm
- B: 70 cm
- Never intentionally place any object or part of your body in the path of the power tailgate to make sure the automatic reverse feature operates. Serious injury, or damage to the vehicle or object may occur.
- For safety, apply the parking brake and operate when in the N (Neutral position.
- Do not close or open the tailgate manually.
This may cause damage to the power tailgate. If it is necessary to close or open the tailgate manually when the battery is discharged or disconnected, do not apply excessive force.
- Do not operate the power tailgate more than 10 times continuously when the engine is not running. Use the power tailgate with the engine running when the power tailgate is used repeatedly to prevent battery discharge.
- Do not leave the power tailgate open for a long period of time. This may drain the battery.
- Do not apply excessive force when the power tailgate is operating. Doing so could result in vehicle damage.
- Do not grab or hold on to the tailgate support struts at any time. Damage to the tailgate support struts could result. Deformation of the tailgate support struts may cause vehicle damage and personal injury may occur.
- Do not modify or repair any part of the power tailgate by yourself. This must be done by an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- Do not operate the power tailgate under the following conditions. The power tailgate may not operate properly.
- One side of the vehicle is lifted to inspect the vehicle or change a tire
- Parking on an uneven road such as a slope, etc.
- Close the tailgate completely and lock all doors and tailgate using the central door lock button before using an automatic car wash.
- Do not spray high pressure water directly on the power tailgate outside open/close button. The tailgate may open unintentionally.
- If the tailgate is not fully closed and vehicle speed is at or above 3 km/h (1.8 mph), a warning will sound 10 times. Immediately park the vehicle at a safe place, close the tailgate, and check that the tailgate open warning on the instrument cluster is turned off.
- In cold and wet climates, the outside power tailgate open/close button may not work properly due to freezing conditions. If this occurs, remove the ice before using the outside power tailgate open/close button or use the power tailgate open/close button on the smart key or the instrument panel.
- Operating the power tailgate more than 5 times continuously could cause damage to the operating motor. If this occurs, the power tailgate will not operate to prevent the motor from overheating. If any of the power tailgate buttons are pressed to try to open the tailgate, the chime will sound 3 times, but the tailgate will remain closed. Allow the power tailgate system to cool for about 1 minute before operating the system again.
- The power tailgate may stop operating
if the automatic reverse feature
operates more than two times while
attempting to open or close the tailgate.
If this occurs, carefully open or close the tailgate manually, and then after 30 seconds try to operate the power tailgate automatically again.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual