KIA Niro: Refilling And Bleeding
Never remove the cap when the engine is hot. Serious scalding could be caused by hot fluid under high pressure escaping from the reservoir.
When pouring inverter coolant, be sure to shut the relay box lid to prevent spilling coolant onto electrical parts or painted surfaces. Immediately rinse off any spilt coolant.
- Remove the inverter reservoir cap (A) to help drain the coolant faster.
- Remove the under cover.
(Refer to Engine Mechanical System - "Engine Room Under Cover")
- Remove the drain plug (A), allow the coolant to drain out and then reinstall the drain plug.
Tightening torque : 7.8 - 11.8 N*m (0.7 - 1. 4 kgf.m, 5.8 - 8.7 lb*ft)
- After draining coolant from the reservoir tank, clean the tank.
- Fill the radiator with water through the inverter reservoir cap and tighten the cap.
To most effectively bleed air, slowly pour water while pressing on the upper/lower radiator hoses.
- Switch "ON" the ignition and then perform the EWP actuation using KDS.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 until the drained water runs clear.
- Fill the reservoir with coolant. Slowly fill with the fluid mixture of coolant and water (45 - 50%).
- Use only genuine antifreeze / coolant.
- For best corrosion protection, the coolant concentration must be maintained year-round at 45% minimum. Coolant concentrations less than 55% may not provide sufficient protection against corrosion or freezing.
- Coolant concentrations greater then 60% will impair cooling efficiency and are not recommended.
- Perform the EWP actuation using KDS.
- While the EWP operates and coolant circulates, refill coolant so that the coolant level is kept between "MAX" and "MIN" levels.
If the EWP operates without a sufficient amount of coolant for approximately 5 seconds, the EWP protection function will be activated to stop the EWP for about 15 seconds. The EWP will start operating automatically when a sufficient amount of coolant is added.
- Air bleeding procedure of the coolant system is completed when the EWP operating sound gets lower and no more air bubbles are seen from the reservoir. (It would take about 3 - 5 minutes.)
After air bleeding, make sure that no air bubbles are present in the reservoir during the EWP actuation. If the coolant flow is not visible or air bubbles are still present, repeat steps 8 to 11.
- After air bleeding, stop the EWP, add coolant to the "MAX" level, and install the reservoir cap.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual