KIA Niro: Regenerative braking mode
- Pull the left side (-) of the paddle
shifter to increase regenerative braking
Pull and hold the left side (-) of the paddle shifter to reach MAX and stop the vehicle.
- Pull the right side (+) of the paddle shifter to decrease regenerative braking and deceleration.
Pull and hold the right side (+) of the paddle shifter to turn on or off smart regeneration system.
- The initial setting will be set to 0 when the vehicle is in D (Drive) and in ECO mode.
- If the vehicle changes to P (Park), R (Reverse), N (Neutral) or manual mode (shift lever), or vehicle is in SPORT mode, the vehicle regenerative braking system control will not be operated. Resetting the vehicle in D (Drive) will set the regenerative system setting to 0.
- ABS and ESC will deactivate the regenerative system.
- Even if the setting for regenerative braking system is identical, it might feel different due to various vehicle speeds. (the higher speed, the less deceleration feeling)
- The regenerative braking system can be controlled
- when the vehicle is stop in D (Drive)
- when you are not depressing brake pedal, and the vehicle is above 2 km/h (1 mph)
Regenerative braking uses motor's power to conserve energy to the highvoltage battery when braking to gain more fuel economy and higher efficiency.
Battery charged, Regenerative braking mode deactivated
A: Recuperative braking not available.
Battery fully charged.
The message will appear when the highvoltage battery amount is charged enough.
Regenerative braking mode by paddle shifter not activated
A: Recuperation shift paddle conditions not met.
The message will appear when:
- When the battery is in high or low temperature
- When the battery or transmission is not functioning properly
- Regenerative braking mode is activated while ABS/Cruise Control/Smart Cruise Control is operating
Drive normally and use the function again to dismiss the message.
Vehicle stop function (MAX setting)
- Pull and hold the left side (-) of the paddle shifter to stop the vehicle.
- The instrument cluster indicator will set to MAX when the vehicle is braking.
- The instrument cluster indicator will set to STOP when the vehicle is stopped.
- The left side (-) of the paddle shifter should be pulled while driving.
- If the vehicle is stopped, the vehicle will retain its position when the left side (-) of the paddle shifter is not pulled.
- Depress the accelerator pedal to move the vehicle in STOP position.
- Depressing the brake pedal in MAX position will retain its settings regardless of paddle shifter operation. (The vehicle will set to STOP position when the vehicle is stopped.)
- The function does not control the distance between vehicles.
- The vehicle may not stop properly on steep hills. Depress the brake to stop the vehicle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual