KIA Niro: Releasing EPB automatically (Kia NIRO Hybrid)
- The EPB is released automatically under following conditions when you shift the gear.
- With the engine running depress the brake pedal and shift out of P (Park) or N (Neutral) to R (Reverse) or D (Drive).
- The EPB is released automatically under following conditions when you start driving,
- Ensure seat belts are fastened and the doors, hood and tailgate are closed.
- With the engine running, depress the brake pedal and shift out of P (Park) to R (Reverse), D (Drive) or Manual shift mode.
- Depress the accelerator pedal.
- Make sure the Parking Brake warning light goes off.
Do not drive your vehicle with the EPB applied. It may cause excessive brake pad and brake rotor wear.
For the Middle East, EPB is released regardless of seat belt fastening.
Do not follow these procedures when driving on a flat level ground. The vehicle may suddenly move forward:
- For your safety, depress the brake pedal and release the parking brake manually with the EPB switch when you drive downhill or when backing up the vehicle.
- For your safety, you can engage the EPB even though the vehicle is in the OFF position, but you cannot release it.
If the parking brake warning light is still on even though the EPB has been released, have the system checked by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
EPB warning message
- Attempting to drive off while engaging the accelerator pedal with the EPB applied
- Driver's seat belt is not fastened and the vehicle hood, driver's door or tailgate is opened
- There is a problem with the vehicle
- Conversion from AUTO HOLD to EPB is not working properly
- EPB is applied while AUTO HOLD is activated due to Electronic Stability Control (ESC) signal
EPB malfunction indicator
If the EPB malfunction indicator remains on, appears while driving, or does not appear when the vehicle is in the ON position, this indicates the EPB may malfunction.
Have your vehicle checked by a professional workshop as soon as possible. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- The EPB warning light may appear if
the EPB switch operates abnormally.
Shut the engine off and turn it on again after a few minutes. The warning light will go off and the EPB switch will operate normally. However, if the EPB warning light is still on, have the system checked by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/ service partner.
- If the parking brake warning light does not appear or blinks even though the EPB switch was pulled up, the EPB is not applied.
- If the parking brake warning light blinks when the EPB warning light is on, press the EPB switch, then pull it up. Once more press it back to its original position and pull it back up. If the EPB warning does not go off, have the system checked by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Emergency braking with the EPB switch
Pull and hold the EPB switch up to engage the emergency brake.
Do not operate the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) while the vehicle is moving except in an emergency situation. Applying the EPB while the vehicle is moving at normal speeds can cause a sudden loss of control of the vehicle. If you must use the EPB to stop the vehicle, use great caution in applying the brake.
During emergency braking by the EPB, the parking brake warning light will appear to indicate that the system is operating.
When the EPB does not release properly
Load the vehicle on a flatbed tow truck and take your vehicle to a professional workshop to check the system. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Brake Disc Cleaning (BDC)
If there is a surface rust on the brake disc or squeal can be heard, use Brake Disc Cleaning function to reduce noise and rust. While using Brake Disc Cleaning function, the regenerative brake system will be temporarily deactivated and the fuel economy may be reduced.
Press AUTO HOLD button for more than 3 seconds.
- If the message is shown on the cluster, Brake Disc Cleaning function is activated.
- Depress the brake pedal around 10
times and the regenerative braking
will be temporarily deactivated. The
rust and noise will be reduced.
Brake Disc Cleaning operation time can change per braking conditions.
- Brake Disc Cleaning function will be automatically deactivated after operation. To manually turn off, turn the vehicle to OFF position or press AUTO HOLD button for more than 3 seconds
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual