KIA Niro: Reverse Parking Distance Warning malfunction and precautions
Reverse Parking Distance Warning malfunction
After starting the vehicle, a beep will sound once when the gear is shifted to R (Reverse) to indicate Reverse Parking Distance Warning is operating normally.
However, if one or more of the following occurs, first check whether the ultrasonic sensor is damaged or blocked with foreign material. If it still does not work properly, Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- The audible warning does not sound.
- The buzzer sounds intermittently.
- The warning message appears on the cluster.
A: Ultrasonic sensor error or blockage
Limitations of Reverse Parking Distance Warning
Reverse Parking Distance Warning may not operate normally when:
- Moisture is frozen to the sensor (Reverse Parking Distance Warning will operate normally when it is melted.)
- Sensor is covered with foreign material, such as snow or water (Reverse Parking Distance Warning will operate normally when such foreign material are removed.)
- The weather is extremely hot or cold
- The sensor or sensor assembly is disassembled
- The surface of the sensor is pressed hard or an impact is applied with a hard object
- The surface of the sensor is scratched with a sharp object
- The sensors or its surrounding area is directly sprayed with high pressure washer
Reverse Parking Distance Warning may malfunction when:
- Heavy rain or water spray is present
- Water flows on the surface of the sensor
- Affected by another vehicle's sensors
- The sensor is covered with snow
- Driving on uneven road, gravel roads or bushes
- Objects that generates ultrasonic waves are near the sensor
- Installing the license plate differently from the original location
- The vehicle bumper height or ultrasonic sensor installation has been modified
- Attaching equipments or accessories around the ultrasonic sensors
The following objects may not be detected:
- Sharp or slim objects, such as ropes, chains or small poles.
- Objects, which tend to absorb sensor frequency, such as clothes, spongy material or snow.
- Objects smaller than 100 cm (40 inches) in length and narrower than 14 cm (6 inches) in diameter.
- Pedestrians, animals or objects that are very close to the ultrasonic sensors
- Reverse Parking Distance Warning is
a supplemental function. The operation
of Reverse Parking Distance
Warning can be affected by several
factors (including environmental conditions).
It is the responsibility of the driver to always check the rear view before and while parking.
- Your vehicle warranty does not cover any accidents or damage to the vehicle due to the malfunction of Reverse Parking Distance Warning.
- Pay close attention when driving near objects, pedestrians, and especially children. Some objects may not be detected by the ultrasonic sensors, due to the objects distance, size or material, all of which can limit the effectiveness of the sensor.
- Parking Distance Warning indicator may not occur sequentially depending on vehicle speed or obstacle shape.
- If Reverse Parking Distance Warning needs repair, Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual