KIA Niro: Setting smart regeneration system (Kia Niro EV)
Smart regeneration system
The Smart Regeneration System controls the regenerative braking automatically according to the road gradient and driving condition of the vehicle in front.
The system minimizes the unnecessary operation of the brake and acceleration pedal, improving the electric efficiency and assisting the driver.
Operating smart regeneration system
- Select menu ? EV settings ? Smart Recuperation ? Strong deceleration/ Medium deceleration/Soft deceleration from the EV menu on the infotainment system.
- Pull and hold the right side ( ) of the paddle shifter for more than approximately 1 second.
- AUTO symbol will be displayed on the cluster.
- The regenerative braking level can be adjusted based on the driver's deceleration style.
- When the vehicle speed is above approximately 10 km/h (6 mph)
- The road gradient changes
- Distance from the vehicle ahead reduces or increases
- Speed of the vehicle ahead reduces or increases
Always make sure the radar sensor cover is clean and free of dirt, snow, and debris.
Dirt, snow, or foreign substances on the lens may adversely affect the sensing performance of the sensor. In this case, the system operation may stop temporarily and not operate normally.
Temporarily canceling smart regeneration system
- The vehicle is shifted to N (Neutral), R (Reverse) or P (Park).
- Cruise Control or Smart Cruise Control is operating.
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) or ABS is operating.
Setting default smart regeneration system level
- Pull the paddle shifter when the smart regeneration system is ON. The level adjustment by smart regeneration system will operate above set level
Resuming smart regeneration system
- Pull and hold the right side of the paddle shifter for more than approximately 1 second again.
Turning smart regeneration system off
- Pull and hold the right side of the paddle shifter for more than approximately 1 second.
Smart regeneration system malfunction and limitations
Smart regeneration system malfunction
A: Check smart recuperation system
The message will appear when the system is not functioning normally. The system will be canceled and the word AUTO on the cluster will disappear and instead display regenerative braking level. Check for foreign substances on the front radar. Remove any dirt, snow, or foreign material that could interfere with the radar sensors. If the system still does not operate normally, have the vehicle inspected by a professional workshop. Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual