KIA Niro: SRS components and functions
* The actual features in your vehicle may not necessarily be available due to the selected options or regions.
- Driver's front air bag module
- Passenger's front air bag module
- Side air bag modules*
- Curtain air bag modules*
- Retractor pre-tensioner assemblies*
- Air bag warning light/Passenger's front air bag ON/OFF menu
- SRS control module (SRSCM)/rollover sensor*
- Front impact sensors
- Side impact sensors*
- Side pressure sensors*
- Passenger's front air bag ON/OFF menu*
- Driver's center side air bag module*
- Driver's knee air bag module*
* : if equipped
Operation- (Kia Niro Hybrid only)
After the engine is running, the SRS air bag warning light on the instrument panel will appear for approximately 6 seconds.
The SRS air bag warning light on the instrument panel will appear for about 6 seconds after the vehicle is in the ON position, after which the air bag warning light should go out.
Operating condition(s) - (Kia Niro EV only)
- EV button is in ON position
- The SRS air bag warning light will appear for approximately 6 seconds and go out.
If any of the following conditions occurs, this indicates a malfunction of the SRS.
In this case, have the system inspected by a professional workshop. Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/ service partner.
- The light does not turn on briefly when you turn the vehicle ON.
- The light stays on after illuminating for approximately 6 seconds.
- The light comes on while the vehicle is in motion.
- The light blinks when the vehicle is in ON position.
Driver's front air bag (1)
Driver's front air bag (2)
Driver's front air bag (3)
Passenger's front air bag
The air bag modules are located both in the center of the steering wheel and in the front passenger's panel above the glove box. When the SRSCM detects a sufficiently severe impact to the front of the vehicle, it will automatically deploy the front air bags.
Upon deployment, tear seams molded directly into the pad covers will separate under pressure from the expansion of the air bags. Further opening of the covers then allows full inflation of the air bags.
A fully inflated air bag, in combination with a properly worn seat belt, slows the driver's or the passenger's forward motion, reducing the risk of head and chest injury.
After complete inflation, the air bag immediately starts deflating, enabling the driver to maintain forward visibility and the ability to steer or operate other controls.
- Do not install or place any accessories (drink holder, CD holder, sticker, etc.) on the front passenger's panel above the glove box in a vehicle with a passenger's air bag. Such objects may become dangerous projectiles and cause injury if the passenger's air bag inflates.
- When installing a container of liquid
air freshener inside the vehicle, do not place it near
the instrument cluster
nor on the instrument panel surface.
It may become dangerous projectiles and cause injury if the passenger's air bag inflates.
- If an air bag deploys, there may be a
loud noise followed by a fine dust
released in the vehicle. These conditions
are normal and are not hazardous
- the air bags are packed in this
fine powder. The dust generated
during air bag deployment may cause
skin or eye irritation as well as aggravate
asthma for some persons.
Always wash all exposed skin areas thoroughly with cold water and a mild soap after an accident in which the air bags were deployed.
- The SRS can function only when the EV button is in the ON position and within approximately 3 minutes after the vehicle is in OFF position. If the SRS air bag warning light does not appear, or continuously remains on after illuminating for about 6 seconds when the EV button is in ON position, or after the vehicle is started, comes on while driving, the SRS is not working properly. In this case, have the system inspected by a professional workshop. Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- Before you replace a fuse or disconnect
a battery terminal, press EV button
to OFF position. Never remove or
replace the air bag related fuse(s)
when the EV button is in the ON position.
Failure to heed this warning will cause the SRS air bag warning light to appear.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual