KIA Niro: Removing and storing the spare tire
Jack and tools
- Jack handle
- Wheel lug nut wrench
Removing and storing the spare tire
- Remove the luggage board cover (1).
- Turn the tire hold-down wing bolt counterclockwise.
- Store the tire in the reverse order of removal. To prevent the spare tire and tools from "rattling" while the vehicle is in motion, store them properly.
- Be cautious as the minimum ground clearance gets lower when you store the original tire in the bottom of the vehicle after replacing it with a spare tire. In particular, drive below 30 km/h (18 mph) when driving over a speed bump and on uphill/downhill/uneven road.
- Never attempt vehicle repairs in the traffic lanes of a public road or highway.
- Always move the vehicle completely off the road and onto the shoulder before trying to change a tire. The jack should be used on firm level ground. If you cannot find a firm level place off the road, call a towing service company for assistance.
- Be sure to use the correct front and rear jacking positions on the vehicle; never use the bumpers or any other part of the vehicle for jacking support.
- The vehicle can easilly roll off the jack causing serious injury or death.
- Do not get under a vehicle that is supported by a jack.
- Do not start or run the engine while the vehicle is on the jack.
- Do not allow anyone remain in the vehicle while it is on the jack.
- Make sure any children present are in a secure place away from the road and from the vehicle to be raised with the jack.
- Ensure the spare tire retainer is properly aligned with the center of the spare tire to prevent the spare tire from "rattling". Otherwise, it may cause the spare tire to fall off the carrier and lead to an accident.
Check whether the tire hold-down wing bolt is fixed on the center of the tire wheel. If the tire hold-down wing bolt is not fixed securely, the tire may move around during driving and noise may sound.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual