KIA Niro: Starting the vehicle (Kia Niro EV)
- Press the EV button in P to turn the vehicle off.
- ACC (Accessory)
- Press the EV button once without depressing the brake pedal.
- The steering wheel is unlocked.
- The electrical accessories can be operated.
- Turns off automatically after approximately 1 hour to prevent battery discharge.
- Press the EV button twice without depressing the brake pedal.
- The warning lights can be checked.
- Press the EV button while depressing the brake pedal in P or N.
- Start the vehicle in P for the safety.
EV button interlock system
The EV button will not change to the OFF position unless the vehicle is in P (Park).
Vehicles equipped with an antitheft steering column lock
The steering wheel is locked when:
- The vehicle is in the OFF position
- The doors are opened
Starting the vehicle with smart key
The vehicle will check for the smart key when:
- The vehicle doors are opened
- The EV button is pressed
If the smart key is not in the vehicle, the indicator ( ) and the message will appear on the instrument cluster.
- Never press the EV button while the vehicle is in motion. This would result in loss of directional control and braking function, which could cause an accident.
- Before leaving the driver's seat,
always make sure the gear is shifted
to P (Park) position, set the parking
brake fully and shut the vehicle off.
Unexpected and sudden vehicle movement may occur if these precautions are not taken.
- Never reach for the EV button or any
other controls through the steering
wheel while the vehicle is in motion.
The presence of your hand or arm in the area could cause loss of vehicle control, an accident and serious bodily injury or death.
- Do not place any movable objects around the driver's seat as they may move while driving, interfere with the driver and lead to an accident.
- The vehicle will start, only when the smart key is in the vehicle. Never allow children or any person who is unfamiliar with the vehicle touch the EV button or related parts. Pushing the EV button while the smart key is in the vehicle may result in unintended vehicle activation and/or unintended vehicle movement.
In an emergency situation while the vehicle is in motion, you are able to turn the vehicle off and to the ACC position by pressing the EV button for more than 2 seconds or 3 times repeatedly within 3 seconds. If the vehicle is still moving, to restart the vehicle:
- Press the EV button when vehicle speed is over approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
If the vehicle is turned off while the vehicle is in motion, do not attempt to move the gear to the P (Park) position.
If the traffic and road conditions permit, you may put the gear in the N (Neutral) position while the vehicle is still moving and press the EV button in an attempt to restart the vehicle.
Do not press the EV button for more than 10 seconds except when the stop lamp fuse is blown.
You can also start the vehicle when the gear is in the N (neutral) position, but for safety, be sure to start the vehicle only when the gear is in the P (Park) position.
- If you leave the EV button in the ACC or ON position for a long time, the battery will discharge.
- If you press the EV button without pressing the brake pedal, the vehicle will not start and the EV button changes as follow: - OFF ? ACC ? ON ? OFF or ACC
- If the steering wheel doesn't unlock
properly, the EV button will not work.
Press the EV button while turning the steering wheel right and left to release the tension.
- You are able to turn off the vehicle only when the vehicle is not in motion.
- If the battery is weak or the smart key does not work correctly, you can start the vehicle by pressing the EV button with the smart key. When you press the EV button directly with the smart key, the smart key should contact the button at a right angle.
- When the stop lamp fuse is blown,
you cannot start the vehicle normally.
Replace the fuse with a new one. If it is not possible, you can start the vehicle by pressing the EV button for 10 seconds while it is in the ACC position.
The vehicle can start without pressing the brake pedal. But for your safety always press the brake pedal before starting the vehicle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual