KIA Niro: Starting the engine with smart key
The vehicle will check for the smart key when:
- The vehicle doors are opened
- The ENGINE START/STOP button is pressed
If the smart key is not in the vehicle, the indicator ( ) and the message will appear on the instrument cluster.
The engine will start, only when the smart key is in the vehicle. Never allow children or any person who is unfamiliar with the vehicle touch the ENGINE START/STOP button or related parts.
Pushing the ENGINE START/STOP button while the smart key is in the vehicle may result in unintended engine activation and/or unintended vehicle movement.
- If the engine stalls while the vehicle is in motion, do not attempt to move the gear to the P (Park) position. If the traffic and road conditions permit, you may put the gear in the N (Neutral) position while the vehicle is still moving and press the ENGINE START/ STOP button in an attempt to restart the engine.
- Do not press the ENGINE START/ STOP button for more than 10 seconds except when the stop lamp fuse is blown.
- Do not turn the ignition switch to the
START position with the engine running.
It may damage the starter.
- You can also start the engine when the gear is in the N (neutral) position, but for safety, be sure to start the engine only when the gear is in the P (Park) position.
If the battery is weak or the smart key does not work correctly, you can start the engine by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button with the smart key. When you press the ENGINE START/STOP button directly with the smart key, the smart key should contact the button at a right angle.
- When the stop lamp fuse is blown,
you cannot start the engine normally.
Replace the fuse with a new one. If it is not possible, you can start the engine by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button for 10 seconds while it is in the ACC position. The engine can start without pressing the brake pedal. But for your safety always press the brake pedal before starting the engine.
Starting the engine
- Always wear appropriate shoes when operating your vehicle. Unsuitable shoes (high heels, ski boots, etc.) may interfere with your ability to use the brake and accelerator pedal.
- Do not start the vehicle with the accelerator pedal depressed. The vehicle can move and lead to an accident.
- Wait until the engine rpm is normal.
The vehicle may suddenly move if the brake pedal is released when the rpm is high.
Starting the gasoline engine
- Make sure the parking brake is applied.
- Make sure the gear is in P (Park).
- Fully depress the brake pedal.
- Turn the key to START position or press the ENGINE START/STOP button.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual