KIA Niro: Bulb replacement precautions
Turn off the vehicle at a safe place, firmly apply the side brake and take out the battery's negative (-) terminal. Use only the bulbs of the specified wattage.
Lamp part malfunction due to network failure
Lamp part malfunction may be caused by network failure or vehicle electrical control system malfunction. If there is a problem, have the system serviced by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Lamp part malfunction due to electrical control system stabilization
A normally functioning lamp may flicker momentarily. This momentary occurrence is due to stabilization unction of the vehicle's electrical on control system.
If the lamp soon returns to normal, the vehicle does not require service.
However, if the lamp goes out after the momentary flickering, or the flickering continues, have the system serviced by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/ service partner.
- Prior to working on the light, firmly apply the parking brake, press the EV button to the OFF position and turn off the lights to avoid sudden movement of the vehicle and burning your fingers or receiving an electric shock.
- Be sure to replace the burned out bulb with one of the same wattage rating. Otherwise, it may cause extensive wiring damage and possible fire.
- Be aware the bulbs may be hot and may burn your fingers.
- If you don't have necessary tools, the correct bulbs and the expertise, consult a professional workshop. Kia recommends to consult an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- In many cases, it is difficult to replace vehicle light bulbs because other parts of the vehicle must be removed before you can get to the bulb. This is especially true if you have to remove the headlight assembly to get to the bulb(s). Removing/installing the headlight assembly can result in damage to the vehicle.
- If unauthentic parts or substandard lights are used when changing lights, it may lead to fuse disconnection and malfunction, and other wiring damages.
- Do not install extra lamps or LED to the vehicle. If supplementary lights are installed, it may lead to lamp malfunction and flickering of the lights. In addition, the fuse box and other wiring may be damaged.
- If the light bulb or lamp connector is removed from an operating lamp activated by electricity, the fuse box's electronic device may scan it as a malfunction. Therefore, a lamp malfunction history may be recorded in Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in the fuse box.
- It is normal for an operating lamp may
blink temporarily. Since this occurrence
is due stabilization function of
the vehicle's electronic control device,
if the lamp lights up normally after
temporary blinking, there is no problem
in the vehicle.
However, if the lamp continues to blink several times or turn off completely, there may be an error in the vehicle's electronic control device. In this case, have the vehicle checked by a professional workshop immediately.
Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- After an accident or after the headlight assembly is reinstalled, have the headlight aiming adjusted by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- After driving in heavy rain or washing,
headlamp and taillamp lenses could
appear frosty. This condition is caused
by the temperature difference
between the lamp inside and outside.
This is similar to the condensation on your windows inside your vehicle during the rain and doesn't indicate a problem with your vehicle. If the water leaks into the lamp bulb circuitry, have the vehicle checked by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Traffic Change (For Europe)
The low beam light distribution is asymmetric.
If you go abroad to a country with opposite traffic direction, this asymmetric part will dazzle oncoming car driver. To prevent dazzle, ECE regulation demand several technical solutions (ex.
automatic change system, adhesive sheet, down aiming). This headlamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers.
So, you need not change your headlamps in a country with opposite traffic direction.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual