KIA Niro: Checking coolant level
Check the condition and connections of all cooling system hoses and heater hoses. Replace any swollen or deteriorated hoses.
The coolant level should be filled between MAX and MIN (F and L) marks on the side of the coolant reservoir when the engine is cool.
If frequent additions are required, have the system inspected by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
The electric motor (cooling fan) is controlled by engine coolant temperature, refrigerant pressure and vehicle speed. It may sometimes operate even when the engine is not running. Use extreme caution when working near the blades of the cooling fan so that you are not injured by a rotating fan blades. As the engine coolant temperature decreases, the electric motor will automatically shut off. This is a normal condition. The electric motor (cooling fan) may operate until you disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Never attempt to
remove the coolant
reservoir cap while
the engine is operating or hot. Doing
so might lead to cooling system and
engine damage. Also, hot coolant or
steam could cause serious personal
injury. Turn the engine off and wait
until it cools down. Use extreme care
when removing the coolant reservoir
cap. Wrap a thick towel around it, and
turn in slowly to the first stop. Step
back while the pressure is released
from the cooling system. When you
are sure all the pressure has been
released, press down on the cap,
using a thick towel, and continue turning
to remove it. Even if the engine is
not operating, do not remove the
coolant reservoir cap or the drain plug
while the engine and radiator are hot.
Hot coolant and steam may still blow out under pressure, causing serious injury.
- When the engine overheats from low engine coolant, suddenly adding engine coolant may cause cracks in the engine. To prevent damage, add engine coolant slowly in small quantities.
- Do not drive with no engine coolant. It may cause water pump failure and engine seizure, etc.
Make sure the coolant cap is properly closed after refill of coolant. Otherwise the engine could be overheated while driving.
- Check if the coolant reservoir cap label is straight In front.
- Make sure that the tiny protrusions inside the coolant cap are securely interlocked.
Recommended engine coolant
- When adding coolant, use only deionized water or soft water for your vehicle and never mix hard water in the coolant filled at the factory.
- Do not use alcohol or methanol coolant or mix them with the specified coolant.
- Do not use a solution that contains more than 60% antifreeze or less than 35% antifreeze.
Refer to the following table for mixture percentage.
Do not remove the coolant reservoir cap when the engine and radiator are hot. Scalding hot coolant and steam may blow out under pressure causing serious injury.
- Do not use radiator coolant or antifreeze in the washer fluid reservoir.
- Radiator coolant can severely obscure visibility when sprayed on the windshield and may cause loss of vehicle control or damage the paint and body trim.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual