KIA Niro: Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
The Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) alerts the driver behind by flashing the brake lights when braking sharply and severely.
- The vehicle suddenly stops.
- ABS is activated and the driving speed is over 55 km/h (34 mph).
- The hazard warning flasher automatically turns ON after blinking the brake lights when:
- The driving speed is under 40 km/h (25 mph)
- The ABS is deactivated
- The sudden braking is over
- The hazard warning flasher turns OFF when:
- The vehicle drives at a low speed for a certain period of time.
The Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) system will not activate, when the hazard warning flashers are already on.
Brake Assist System (BAS)
The Brake Assistant System provides additional pressure when the brake pedal is momentarily and strongly depressed in a situation sudden braking is required while driving.
The Brake Assistant System reduces the time for ABS(Anti-Lock Brake System) control to enter and consequently reduces the braking distance, by providing additional pressure up to the point of ABS intervention.
- When the vehicle speed is more than 30 km/h and the ABS control is not entered.
- When the brake pedal is depressed slightly under a certain level.
- When the friction of the road surface is above a certain level.
BAS operation off
- The vehicle speed is below 10 km/h.
- The brake pedal is depressed over a certain conditions.
- The friction of the road surface is below a certain level.
The system may not operate depending on driver's driving habit, the degree to which the brake pedal is depressed and the road surface condition.
NOTICE- (Kia Niro Hybrid only)
- The sensing range and objects detectable by the sensors are limited. Pay attention to the road conditions at all times.
- NEVER drive too fast in accordance with the road conditions or while cornering.
- Always drive cautiously to prevent unexpected and sudden situations from occurring. BAS does not stop the vehicle completely and does not avoid collisions.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual