KIA Niro: Lane Following Assist operation
Turning Lane Following Assist On/Off
With the engine on, shortly press the Lane Driving Assist button located on the steering wheel to turn on Lane Following Assist. The grey or green ( ) indicator light will appear on the cluster.
Press the button again to turn off the function.
Lane Following Assist
If the vehicle ahead and/or both lane markings are detected and The vehicle speed is below 160 km/h (90 mph), the green ( ) indicator light appears on the cluster, and Lane Following Assist helps center the vehicle in the lane by assisting the steering wheel.
When the steering wheel is not assisted, the white ( ) indicator light blinks and change to grey.
A: Keep hands on steering wheel
If the driver takes their hands off the steering wheel for several seconds, the warning message will appear and an audible warning will sound in stages.
- First stage: Warning message
- Second stage: Warning message (red steering wheel) and audible warning
A: LFA (Lane Following Assist) cancelled
If the driver still does not have their hands on the steering wheel after the hands-off warning the warning message will appear and Lane Following Assist will be automatically canceled.
- The steering wheel may not be assisted if the steering wheel is held very tight or the steering wheel is steered over a certain degree.
- Lane Following Assist does not operate at all times. It is the responsibility of the driver to safely steer the vehicle and to maintain the vehicle in its lane.
- The hands-off warning message may appear late depending on road conditions. Always have your hands on the steering wheel while driving.
- If the steering wheel is held very lightly the hands-off warning message may appear because Lane Following Assist may not recognize that the driver has their hands on the steering wheel.
- If you attach objects to the steering wheel, the hands-off warning may not work properly.
- For more details on Smart Cruise Control operation, refer to "Smart Cruise Control (SCC) (if equipped)"
- When both lane markings are detected, the lane lines on the cluster will change from grey to white.
- The images and colors in the instrument cluster may differ depending on the cluster type or theme selected from the settings menu.
- If lane markings are not detected, steering wheel control by Lane Following Assist can be limited depending on whether a vehicle is in front or the driving conditions of the vehicle.
- Even though the steering is assisted by Lane Following Assist, the driver may control the steering wheel.
- The steering wheel may feel heavier or lighter when the steering wheel is assisted by Lane Following Assist than when it is not.
Lane Following Assist malfunction and limitations
A: Check LFA (Lane Following Assist) system
When Lane Following Assist is not working properly, the warning message will appear and the master warning light ( ) will appear on the cluster.
If this occurs, have Lane Following Assist be inspected by a professional workshop.
Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Limitations of Lane Following Assist
For more details on Lane Following Assist limitations, refer to "Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) (if equipped)"
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual