KIA Niro: Engine oil (Kia NIRO Hybrid)
Checking engine oil level
Engine oil is used for lubricating, cooling, and operating various hydraulic components in the engine. Engine oil consumption while driving is normal, and it is necessary to check and refill the engine oil regularly. Also, check and refill the oil level within the recommended maintenance schedule to prevent deterioration of oil performance.
Check the engine oil following the below procedure.
Smartstream G1.6 GDi HEV/PHEV
- Be sure the vehicle is on level ground.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
- Turn the engine off, remove the oil
filler cap and pull the dipstick out.
Wait for 15 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
- Wipe the dipstick clean and re-insert it fully.
- Pull the dipstick out again and check between the F-L line, and if it is below the L line, add enough oil to bring the level to F line.
Replenishing engine oil
Smartstream G1.6 GDi HEV/PHEV
Use a funnel to help prevent oil from being spilled on engine components.
Use only the specified engine oil. (Refer to "Recommended lubricants and capacities")
- Do not spill engine oil when adding or changing engine oil. Wipe off spilled oil immediately.
- The engine oil consumption may increase while you break in a new vehicle and it will be stabilized after driving 6,000 km (4,000 miles).
- The engine oil consumption can be affected by driving habits, climate conditions, traffic conditions, oil quality, etc. Therefore, it is recommended that you inspect the engine oil level regularly and refill it if necessary.
Changing engine oil and filter
Have the engine oil and filter replaced by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/ service partner.
- If the maintenance schedule to replace engine oil is exceeded, the engine oil performance may deteriorate, and the engine condition may be affected. Therefore, replace the engine oil according to the maintenance schedule.
- To keep the engine in optimal condition, use the recommended engine oil and filter. If the recommended engine oil and filter are not used replace it according to the maintenance schedule under severe usage conditions.
* The purpose of the maintenance schedule for engine oil replacement is to prevent oil deterioration and it is irrelevant to oil consumption. Check and refill engine oil regularly.
- Be very careful not to touch the radiator hose when checking or adding the engine oil as it may be hot enough to burn you.
- Used engine oil may cause irritation or cancer of the skin if left in contact with the skin for prolonged periods of time. Used engine oil contains chemicals that have caused cancer in laboratory animals. Always protect your skin by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water as soon as possible after handling used oil. Do not leave used engine oil within the reach of children.
- When you wipe the oil level gauge,
you should wipe it with a clean cloth.
When mixed with debris, it can cause engine damage.
- The engine oil is very hot immediately
after the vehicle has been driven and
can cause burns during replacement.
Replace the engine oil after the engine oil has cooled down.
When the oil pressure is low due to insufficient engine oil, the Engine Oil Pressure ( ) warning light will illuminate.
In addition, the enhanced engine protection system, which limits the engine's power is activated and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( ) will illuminate when the vehicle is driven in this state continuously.
When oil pressure is restored, the Engine Oil Pressure warning light will turn off and the engine power will no longer be limited.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual