KIA Niro: Lane Keeping Assist malfunction and limitations
Lane Keeping Assist malfunction
A: Check Lane Safety system
When Lane Keeping Assist is not working properly, the warning message will appear and the yellow ( ) indicator light will appear on the cluster. If this occurs, have the function inspected by a professional workshop. Kia recommends visiting an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Limitations of Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist may not operate properly or may operate unexpectedly under the following circumstances:
- The lane markings (or road edge) are covered wiThe lane markings (or road edge) are covered with rain, snow, dirt, oil, etc.
- The color of the lane marking (or road edge) is not distinguishable from the roadth rain, snow, dirt, oil, etc.
- There are markings (or road edges) on the road near the lane or the markings (or road edges) on the road look similar to the lane markings (or road edge)
- The lane marking (or road edge) is indistinct or damaged
- The shadow is on the lane marking (or road edge) by a median strip, trees, guardrail, noise barriers, etc.
- The lane number increases or decreases, or the lane markings (or road edges) are crossing
- There are more than two lane markings (or road edges) on the road
- The lane markings (or road edges) are complicated or a structure substitutes for the lines, such as a construction area
- There are road markings, such as zigzag lanes, crosswalk markings and road signs
- The lane suddenly disappears, such as at the intersection
- The lane (or road width) is very wide or narrow
- There is a road edge without a lane
- There is a boundary structure in the roadway, such as a tollgate, sidewalk, curb, etc.
- The distance to the front vehicle is extremely short or the vehicle in front is covering the lane marking (or road edge)
For more details on the limitations of the front view camera, refer to "Forward Collision- Avoidance Assist (FCA) (Front Camera Only) (if equipped)"
- The driver should hold the responsibility to safely drive and control the vehicle. Do not solely rely on Lane Keeping Assist and drive dangerously.
- The operation of Lane Keeping Assist can be canceled or not work properly depending on road conditions and surroundings. Always be cautious while driving.
- Refer to "Limitations of Lane Keeping Assist" if the lane is not detected properly.
- When you are towing a trailer or another vehicle, turn off Lane Keeping Assist for safety reasons.
- If the vehicle is driven at high speed,
the steering wheel will not be controlled.
The driver must always follow the speed limit when using Lane Keeping Assist.
- If any other system's warning message is displayed or audible warning is generated, Lane Keeping Assist warning message may not be displayed and audible warning may not be generated.
- You may not hear the warning sound of Lane Keeping Assist if the surrounding is noisy. Adjust the vehicle volume moderately and always pay attention to the surrounding.
- If you attach objects to the steering wheel, steering may not be assisted properly.
- Lane Keeping Assist may not operate for 15 seconds after the vehicle is started, or the front view camera is initialized.
- Lane Keeping Assist will not operate when:
- The turn signal or hazard warning flasher is turned on.
- The vehicle is not driven in the center of the lane when Lane Keeping Assist is turned on or right after changing a lane.
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) or VSM (Vehicle Stability Management) is activated.
- The vehicle is driven rapidly on a sharp curve.
- Vehicle speed is below 55 km/h (35 mph) or above 210 km/h (130 mph).
- The vehicle makes sharp lane changes.
- The vehicle brakes suddenly.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual