KIA Niro: On-vehicle Inspection
- Check that the auxiliary 12V battery cables are connected to the correct terminals.
- Disconnect the auxiliary 12V battery cables when the battery is given a quick charge.
- Never disconnect the auxiliary 12V battery while the engine is running.
Check The Auxiliary 12V Battery Terminals And Fuses
- Check that the auxiliary 12V battery terminals are not loose or corroded.
- Check the fuses for continuity.
Check Discharge Warning Light Circuit
- Warm up the engine and then turn it off.
- Turn off all accessories.
- Turn the ignition switch "ON". Check that the discharge warning light is lit.
- Start the engine and Check that the light goes off.
If the light does not go off as specified, then refer to the LDC diagnostics section for further
diagnosis of auxiliary 12V battery charging system problem.
- The CMF(Closed Maintenance Free) battery is, as the name implies, totally maintenance free and has no removable battery cell caps.
- The CMF(Closed Maintenance Free) battery does not require water replenishment for the repair.
- The battery is completely sealed, except for small vent holes in the cover.
After disconnecting then reconnecting the battery negative cable, reset some parts that require the reset procedures.
(Refer to Body Electrical System - "General Information")
Auxiliary 12V Battery
- Open the trunk.
- Remove the luggage side trim (RH) side cover (A).
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and disconnect the battery negative (-) terminal (A).
- Disconnect the vent hose (B).
Battery (-) terminal tightening nut : 7.8 - 9.8 N*m (0.8 - 1.0 kgf*m, 5.2 - 8.7 lb*ft)
- Disconnect the battery positive (+) terminal (A).
Battery (+) terminal tightening nut : 7.8 - 9.8 N*m (0.8 - 1.0 kgf*m, 5.2 - 8.7 lb*ft)
- Remove the battery upper bracket (A) after loosening the mounting bolt.
- Remove the auxiliary 12V battery.
Battery mounting bracket bolt : 19.6 - 29.4 N*m (2.0 - 3.0 kgf*m, 14.5 - 21.7 lb*ft)
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual