KIA Niro: Servicing The Electrical System
- Prior to servicing the electrical system, be sure to turn off the ignition switch and disconnect the battery ground cable.
In the course of MFI or ELC system diagnosis, when the battery cable
is removed, any
diagnostic trouble code retained by the computer will be cleared. There fore, if necessary, record
the diagnostic data before removing the battery cable.
- Attach the wiring harnesses with clamps so that there is no slack.
However, for any harness which
passes the engine or other vibrating parts of the vehicle, allow some slack
within a range that does
not allow the engine vibrations to cause the harness to come into contact
with any of the
surrounding parts and then secure the harness by using a clamp.
- If any section of a wiring harness interferes with the edge of a parts, or a corner, wrap the section of the harness with tape or something similar in order to protect if from damage.
- When installing any parts, be careful not to pinch or damage any of the wiring harness.
- Never throw relays, sensors or electrical parts, or expose them to strong shock.
- The electronic parts used in the computer, relays, etc. are readily
damaged by heat. If there is a need
for service operations that may cause the temperature to exceed 80ºC
(176ºF), remove the
electronic parts before hand.
- Loose connectors cause problems. Make sure that the connectors are always securely fastened.
- When disconnecting a connector, be sure to grip only the connector, not the wires.
- Disconnect connector which have catches by pressing in the direction of
the arrows shown the
- Connect connectors which have catches by inserting the connectors until
they make a clicking
- When using a circuit tester to check continuity or voltage on connector terminals, insert the test probe into the harness side. If the connector is a sealed connector, insert the test probe through the hole in the rubber cap until contacts the terminal, being careful not to damage the insulation of the wires.
- To avoid overloading the wiring, take the electrical current load of the optional equipment into consideration, and determine the appropriate wire size.
Precautions For Catalytic Converter
If a large amount of unburned gasoline flows into the converter, it may overheat and create a fire hazard. To prevent this observe the following precautions and explain them to your customer.
- Use only unleaded gasoline.
- Do not run the engine while the car is at rest for a long time. Avoid running the engine at fast idle for more than 10minutes and idle speed for more than 20 minutes.
- Do not measure engine compression for an extended time. Engine compression tests must be made as rapidly as possible. Remove the fuel pump relay before performing a compression test.
- Do not dispose of used catalytic converter together with parts contaminated with gasoline or oil.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual