KIA Niro: Important Safety Notice
Proper service methods and repair procedures are essential for safe, reliable
operation of all motor
vehicles as well as personal safety of the operator. The service procedures and descriptions in this shop manual provide general directions for a service and repair.
Procedure, techniques, tools, and parts for service including the skill of the
technician vary. It is
impossible to provide advice or caution as to each case in this manual.
Accordingly, anyone who intends to use a replacement part, service procedure, or
tool, which is not
recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, must first assure thoroughly that neither their personal
safety nor the safe operation of the vehicle will be first jeopardized by the replacement part, service procedure, or tool they select.
Reminds you to be especially careful in those areas where carelessness will cause death or serious injury.
Reminds you to be especially careful in those areas where carelessness may cause death or serious injury.
Reminds you to be especially careful in those areas where carelessness may cause personal injury.
Gives you information that will prevent you from making errors that could damage the vehicle
Gives you added information that will help you complete a particular procedure.
The following list contains some general WARNINGS that you should follow
while working on a
- Always wear safety glasses for eye protection.
- Use safety stands whenever a procedure requires you to be under the vehicle.
- Make sure that the ignition switch is always in the OFF position, unless otherwise required by the procedure.
- Set the parking brake when working on the vehicle. If you have an automatic transaxle, set in park unless instructed otherwise for a specific operation.
- Place supporters against the front and rear surfaces of the tires to help prevent the vehicle from moving.
- Operate the engine only in a well-ventilated area to avoid the danger of
- Keep yourself and your clothing away from moving parts when the engine
is running, especially
the drive belts.
- To prevent serious burns, avoid contact with hot metal parts such as the radiator, exhaust manifold, tail pipe, catalytic converter and muffler.
- Do not smoke while working on a vehicle.
- To avoid injury, always remove rings, watches, loose hanging jewelry, and loose clothing before beginning to work on a vehicle.
- When it is necessary to work under the hood, keep hands and other
objects clear of the radiator fan
blades! Your vehicle may be equipped with a cooling fan that may turn on,
even though the ignition
switch is in the OFF position. For this reason care should be taken to
ensure that the radiator fan
electric motor is completely disconnected when working under the hood and
the engine is not
Lift And Support Points
When heavy rear components such as suspension, fuel tank, spare tire, tailgate and trunk lid are to be removed, place additional weight in the luggage area before hoisting. When substatial weight is removed from the rear of the vehicle, the center of gravity may change and can cause the vehicle to tip forward on the hoist.
- Since each tire/wheel assembly weights approximately 30lbs (14kg), placing the front wheels in the luggage area can assist with the weight distribution.
- Use the same support points to support the vehicle on safety stands.
- Place the lift blocks under the support points as shown in the illustration.
- Raise the hoist a few inches (centimeters) and rock the vehicle to be sure it is firmly supported.
- Raise the hoist to full height to inspect the lift points for secure support.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual