KIA Niro: Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS)
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) Description and operation
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) is one of the most important sensors of the
engine control system
that detects the crankshaft position. Lack of CKPS signal may cause the engine to stop.
This sensor is installed in ladder frame and generates alternating current by
magnetic flux field which
is made by the sensor and the target wheel when the engine rotates. The target
wheel consists of 58
slots and 2 missing slots on 360 CA (Crank Angle).
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) Repair procedures
- Check signal waveform of CKPS and CMPS using a KDS.
Specification: Refer to "Waveform"
- Switch "OFF" the ignition and disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
- Remove the air cleaner.
(Refer to Engine Mechanical System - "Air Cleaner")
- Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor connector (A).
- Remove the engine room under cover.
(Refer to Engine Mechanical System - "Engine Room Under Cover")
- Remove the crankshaft position sensor after loosening the mounting bolt (A).
Crankshaft position sensor mounting bolt : 9.8 - 11.8 N*m (1.0 - 1.2 kgf*m, 7.2 - 8.7 lb*ft)
- Install the component to the specified torque.
- Note that internal damage may occur when the component is dropped. If the component has been dropped, inspect before installing.
- Apply engine oil to the O-ring.
- Insert the sensor in the installation hole and be careful not to damage it.
- Install in the reverse order of removal.
БЮ Fig.1) Normal signal waveform of CKPS and CMPS-In/Ex at Engine idle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual