KIA Niro: Distance to empty
The distance to empty is displayed differently according to the selected drive mode in the Drive Mode Integrated Control System.
For more information, refer to "Drive mode integrated control system"
When destination is not set
- On average, a vehicle can drive about 400 km.
- Under certain circumstances where the air conditioner/heater is ON, the distance to empty is impacted, resulting in a possible distance range from 240~560 km. When using the heater during cold weather or driving at high speed, the high voltage battery consumes a lot more electricity. This may reduce the distance to empty significantly.
- After '0 km' has been displayed,
charge the vehicle immediately. The
vehicle can drive an additional 3~8
km (2~5 miles) depending on driving
speed, heater/air conditioner,
weather, driving style, and other factors.
Drive your vehicle for approximately 50 km/h (30 mph) to the nearest charging station.
- Distance to empty that is displayed on
the instrument cluster after completing
a recharge may vary significantly
depending on previous operating patterns.
When previous driving patterns include high speed driving, resulting in the high voltage battery using more electricity than usual, the estimated distance to empty is reduced. When the high voltage battery uses little electricity in ECO mode, the estimated distance to empty increases.
- Distance to empty may depend on many factors such as the charge amount of the high voltage battery, weather, temperature, durability of the battery, geographical features, and driving style. When the outside temperature drops, such as in winter, the distance to empty may decrease due to battery performance degradation.
- Natural degradation may occur with the high voltage battery depending on the number of years the vehicle is used. This may reduce the distance to empty.
When destination is set
When the destination is set, the distance to empty may change. The distance to empty is recalculated using the information of the destination. However, the distance to empty may vary significantly based on traffic conditions, driving habits, and condition of the vehicle.
Tips for improving Distance to empty
- If you operate the air conditioner/ heater too much, the driving battery uses too much electricity. This may reduce the distance to empty. Therefore, it is recommended that you set the cabin temperature to 22 ºC (72 ºF) AUTO. This setting that has been certified by various assessment tests to maintain optimal energy consumption rates while maintaining a comfortable temperature. Turn off the heater and air conditioner if you do not need them. However, continuously turning it on and off is not recommended.
- When the heater or air conditioning system is on the energy consumption is reduced if recirculation mode is selected instead of selecting the fresh mode. The fresh mode requires large amount of energy consumption as the outside air has to be re-heated or cooled.
- When using the heater or air conditioning system, use the DRIVER ONLY or scheduled air conditioner/ heater function.
- Depress and hold the accelerator pedal to maintain speed and drive economically.
- Gradually depress and release the accelerator pedal when accelerating or decelerating.
- Always maintain specified tire pressures.
- Do not use unnecessary electrical components while driving.
- Do not load unnecessary items in the vehicle.
- Do not mount parts that may increase air resistance.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual