KIA Niro: High Voltage Shut-off Procedures
- Be sure to read and follow the "General Safety Information and Caution" before doing any work related with the high voltage system. Failure to follow the safety instructions may result in serious electrical injuries.
- Be sure to read and follow the "High Voltage Shut-off
Procedures" before doing any work related with the high voltage system.
Failure to follow the safety instructions may result in serious electrical injuries.
High voltage components: High Voltage Battery Pack Assembly, Power Relay Assembly (PRA), BMS ECU, Hybrid Power Control Unit (HPCU), Hybrid Drive Motor, HSG, Electric A/C Compressor, Low DC/DC Converter (LDC), On-Board Charger (OBC), Power Cable, Electric Compressor etc.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Remove the auxiliary 12V battery cover (A).
- Disconnect the auxiliary 12V battery negative (-) terminal.
- Remove the luggage board (A).
- Remove the safety plug cover (A) after loosening the mounting bolts.
- Unfasten the hook (A) in the direction of arrow.
- Unfasten the lever (A) in the direction of arrow.
- Remove the safety plug (A).
- Wait at least 5 minutes or until the capacitor in the high voltage system is fully discharged.
- Measure the voltage between the inverter terminals to check that the capacitor in the inverter is discharged completely.
(1) Remove air cleaner assembly and air duct.
(Refer to Engine Mechanical System - "Air Cleaner")
(2) Disconnect the inverter power cable (A).
Disconnect the inverter power cable as shown below.
(3) Measure the voltage between the inverter (+) terminal and the inverter (-) terminal.
Less than 30V : High voltage circuit properly shut
More than 30V : Fault on high voltage circuit
If voltage over 30V is measured, reconfirm that the safety plug has been removed. If voltage over 30V is measured even though the safety plug has been removed, there can be serious problem with the high voltage circuit. In this case, check DTC and do not touch the high voltage system circuits.
Basic Service Symbols
There are five primary symbols used to complement illustrations. These symbols indicate the part to apply such materials during service.
Do not reuse the part. Replace a new one.
Apply engine oil or transmission oil to the part.
Apply automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to the part.
Apply grease to the part.
Apply sealant to the part.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual