KIA Niro: Hybrid Drive Motor Assembly Repair procedures
- The hybrid motor system is equipped with two electric motors - HSG and drive motor.
- The traction motor operates to move the vehicle, to reduce Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) while driving and to improve fuel efficiency.
- The electric motor takes on the role of a generator during deceleration and braking.
- The Hybrid Starter Generator (HSG) starts the engine while the vehicle is in motion.
Hybrid Drive Motor Assembly Components and components location
- Dual clutch transmission (DCT) assembly
- Hybrid drive motor assembly
- Concentric slave cylinder
- Engine clutch actuator assembly
- Using mΩ tester, measure the line-to-line resistance.
Hybrid Drive Motor Assembly Repair procedures
- Inspect the temperature sensor resistance.
- Inspect the resolver sensor resistance.
- Inspect the insulation resistance.
- Remove the hybrid drive motor & dual clutch transmission assembly from
(Refer to DCT System - "DCT")
- Remove the engine clutch actuator (A).
Tightening torque : 21.6 - 26.5 N*m (2.2 - 2.7 kgf*m, 15.9 - 19.5 lb*ft)
- Remove the concentric slave cylinder.
(Refer to Engine Clutch System - "Concentric Slave Cylinder Assembly")
- Remove the hybrid drive motor (A) by loosening the bolts.
Tightening torque : 42.2 - 53.9 N*m (4.3 - 5.5 kgf*m, 31.1 - 39.8 lb*ft)
- Install in the reverse order of removal.
1) Check the pilot bearing (B) and motor side connector (A) on the side of engine for any dents, damages and deformations before installing the DCT.
2) Align the motor side connector spline (A) with the dual clutch spline (B).
3) Insert the input shaft (A) into the pilot bearing (B) and then assemble the DCT to the bushing on the motor side.
4) After mounting the DCT to the engine by pushing the DCT, tighten the mounting bolts making sure that there is no gap (less than 2 mm) between the clutch housing and the engine block.
(If the bolt is tightened while there is a gap, then the spline of motor side connector or clutch will be damaged or broken.)
- Perform the procedure below after installing.
(1) Refill the hybrid motor cooling system with coolant and then perform the air bleeding using the KDS.
(Refer to Hybrid Motor System - "Coolant") (2) Perform learning of the engine clutch inspection line and initialization of diagnostic information using the KDS.
(3) Refill the engine clutch reservoir with brake fluid and then perform the air bleeding using the KDS.
(4) Perform the engine clutch / motor resolver adaptation using the KDS.
(5) Stabilize the engine clutch hardware transfer torque using the KDS.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual