KIA Niro: In the event of brake failure (Kia NIRO Hybrid)
- Make an emergency stop with the parking brake.
- The brake has failed
Avoid applying the parking brake to stop the vehicle while it is moving except in an emergency situation. Applying the parking brake while the vehicle is moving at normal speeds can cause a sudden loss of control of the vehicle. If you must use the parking brake to stop the vehicle, use great caution in applying the brake.
- Apply greater force to the brake pedal.
- The vehicle is stalled
Avoid continuous application of the brakes when descending a long or steep hill by shifting to a lower gear. Continuous brake application will cause the brakes to overheat and could result in a temporary loss of braking performance.
Do not drive with your foot resting on the brake pedal. This will create abnormally high brake temperatures which can cause excessive brake lining and pad wear.
- When stepping on the brake pedal under a certain driving or weather condition. you may witness your car make a sound of squealing or some other noises. This is not a brake malfunction but a normal phenomenon.
- When driving on the road to which
deicing chemicals are applied, the
vehicle may witness noises from the
brake or abnormal abrasion of tires
because of such deicing chemicals.
You should operate brake additionally so that you would be able to remove the deicing chemicals on the brake disk and pad under a safe traffic condition.
Brake over accelerator
- Apply the brakes steady and firmly.
- Stop the vehicle safely.
- Shift to P. Turn the engine off and apply the parking brake.
- Inspect the accelerator pedal for any interference.
- The accelerator pedal is stuck
- If none are found and the condition persists, have your vehicle towed to a professional workshop and inspected. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
Disc brake wear indicator
The front or rear brakes will squeal when the brake pads are worn. Always replace the front or rear brake pads as pairs.
Do not ignore high pitched wear sounds from your brakes. If you ignore this audible warning, you will eventually lose braking performance, which could lead to a serious accident.
Do not continue to drive with worn brake pads. Continuing to drive with worn brake pads can damage the braking system and result in costly brake repairs.
- Brake dust may accumulate on the
wheels, even under normal driving conditions.
Some dust is inevitable as the brakes wear and contribute to brake noise.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual