KIA Niro: Parking brake
Check if the brake warning light ( ) appears when the vehicle is in the START or ON position. Be sure the parking brake is fully released and the brake warning light ( ) is off before driving.
WARNING- (Kia Niro EV only)
- To reduce the risk of SERIOUS
INJURY or DEATH, do not operate the
parking brake while the vehicle is
moving except in an emergency situation.
It could damage the brake system and lead to an accident.
- Whenever leaving the vehicle or parking, always come to a complete stop and continue to depress the brake pedal. Make sure the gear is shifted to P (Park) position, then apply the parking brake, and set the EV button to OFF position. Vehicles with the parking brake not fully engaged are at risk for moving inadvertently and causing injury to yourself or others.
- NEVER allow anyone who is unfamiliar with the vehicle to touch the parking brake. If the parking brake is released unintentionally, serious injury may occur.
- Only release the parking brake when you are seated inside the vehicle with your foot firmly on the brake pedal.
- Never allow a passenger to touch the parking brake. If the parking brake is released unintentionally, serious injury may occur.
NOTICE- (Kia Niro EV only)
- Do not apply the accelerator pedal while the parking brake is engaged. If you depress the accelerator pedal with the parking brake engaged, warning will sound. Damage to the parking brake may occur.
- Driving with the parking brake on can overheat the braking system and cause premature wear or damage to brake parts. Make sure the parking brake is released and the brake warning light is off before driving.
Electronic Parking Brake EPB
Applying the EPB manually
- Depress the brake pedal and pull the EPB switch up to apply the parking brake.
Depress the brake pedal. Make sure the gear is in P and push the EPB switch down to release the parking brake. (Kia Niro Hybrid only)
Risk of accident and injury due to children left unattended in the vehicle. If you leave children unaccompanied in the vehicle, they may be able to set the vehicle in motion, for example by:
- Releasing the parking brake.
- Shifting the transmission out of P (Park) position.
- Starting the engine. In addition, they may operate vehicle equipment.
Never leave children and animals unattended in the vehicle.
When leaving the vehicle, always take the smart key with you and lock the vehicle.
On a steep incline or when pulling a trailer, if the vehicle does not remain at a standstill, do as follows:
- Apply the EPB.
- Pull up the EPB switch for more than 3 seconds.
A click or electric brake motor whine sound may be heard while operating or releasing the EPB. These conditions are normal and indicate that the EPB is functioning properly.
Applying EPB automatically
Operating condition(s) - (Kia Niro Hybrid only)
- Shifting to P on a slope for shift dial SBW type
- Vehicle is in OFF position while AUTO HOLD is enabled
- When the vehicle moves a bit in P for shift dial SBW type
- Requested by other systems
- Conditions below while AUTO HOLD is activated:
- Driver's door is opened
- Hood is opened
- Tailgate is opened
- Vehicle stops for more than approximately 10 minutes
- Vehicle stops on a steep slope
- Requested by other systems
For Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) equipped vehicles with AUTO HOLD function used while driving, if the ENGINE START/STOP button has been turned OFF, the EPB will be engaged automatically. Therefore, AUTO HOLD function should be turned off before the ENGINE START/STOP button is turned off.
Operating condition(s) - (Kia Niro EV only)
- Shifting to P
- Vehicle in OFF position with AUTO HOLD enabled
- When the vehicle moves a bit in P
- At the request of other systems.
- The conditions below apply when Auto Hold is enabled:
- The driver's door is opened.
- The hood is opened.
- The tailgate is opened.
- The vehicle stops for more than approximately 10 minutes on a steep slope
- At the request of other systems
- If equipped with Electronic Parking Brake, parking brake is applied automatically when the gear is shifted to P (Park).
- If you notice a continuous noise or burning smell when the EPB is used for emergency braking, have your vehicle checked by a professional workshop. Kia recommends to visit an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- If the gear is shifted to N (Neutral)
while Electronic Parking Brake is
applied, it is not released automatically.
If you don't release Electronic Parking Brake manually before using an automatic car wash tunnel machine or etc., this may result in damage to the vehicle or the automatic car wash tunnel machine.
Releasing EPB manually
- Depress the brake pedal. Make sure the gear is in P and push the EPB switch down to release the parking brake.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual