KIA Niro: Information on data processing
Any processing of personal data through the 112-based eCall in-vehicle system shall comply with the personal data protection rules provided for in Directives 95/46/EC (1) and 2002/58/EC (2) of the European Parliament and of the Council, and in particular, shall be based on the necessity to protect the vital interests of the individuals in accordance with Article 7(d) of Directive 95/46/EC (3).
Processing of such data is strictly limited to the purpose of handling the emergency eCall to the single European emergency number 112.
Types of data and its recipients
The 112-based eCall in-vehicle system may collect and process only the following data:
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Vehicle type (passenger vehicle or light commercial vehicle)
- Vehicle propulsion storage type (gasoline/ diesel/CNG/LPG/electric/hydrogen)
- Vehicle recent locations and direction of travel
- Log file of the automatic activation of the system and its timestamp
- Any additional data (if applicable): Not applicable
Recipients of data processed by the 112- based eCall in-vehicle system are the relevant public safety answering points designated by the respective public authorities of the country on which territory they are located, to first receive and handle eCalls to the single European emergency number 112. Additional information (if available): Not applicable
- Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (OJ L 281, 23.11.1995, p. 31).
- Directive 2002/58/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 July 2002 concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy in the electronic communications sector (Directive on privacy and electronic communications) (OJ L 201, 31.7.2002, p. 37).
- Directive 95/46/EC is repealed by Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (General Data Protection Regulation) (OJ L 119, 4.5.2016, p. 1). The Regulation applies from 25 May 2018.
Arrangements for data processing
The 112-based eCall in-vehicle system is designed in such a way as to ensure that the data contained in the system memory is not available outside the system before an eCall is triggered. Additional remarks (if any): Not applicable The 112-based eCall in-vehicle system is designed in such a way as to ensure that it is not traceable and not subject to any constant tracking in its normal operation status. Additional remarks (if any): Not applicable The 112-based eCall in-vehicle system is designed in such a way as to ensure that data in the system internal memory is automatically and continuously removed.
The vehicle location data is constantly overwritten in the internal memory of the system so as always to keep maximum of the last three up-to-date locations of the vehicle necessary for the normal functioning of the system.
The log of activity data in the 112- based eCall in-vehicle system is kept for no longer than necessary for attaining the purpose of handling the emergency eCall and in any case not beyond 13 hours from the moment an emergency eCall was initiated. Additional remarks (if any): Not applicable
Modalities for exercising data subject's rights
The data subject (the vehicle's owner) has a right of access to data and as appropriate to request the rectification, erasure or blocking of data, concerning him or her, the processing of which does not comply with the provisions of Directive 95/46/EC. Any third parties to whom the data have been disclosed have to be notified of such rectification, erasure or blocking carried out in compliance with this Directive, unless it proves impossible or involves a disproportionate effort.
The data subject has a right to complain to the competent data protection authority if he or she considers that his or her rights have been infringed as a result of the processing of his or her personal data.
Contact service responsible for handling access requests (if any): Not applicable
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual