KIA Niro: Limitations of Remote Smart Parking Assist
In the following circumstances, Remote Smart Parking Assist performance to park or exit the vehicle may be limited, there may be a risk of collision, or Remote Smart Parking Assist may turn off. Park or exit the vehicle manually if necessary.
- An object is attached to the steering wheel
- The vehicle is installed with a snow chain, spare tire or different size wheel
- Tire pressure is lower or higher than the standard tire pressure
- Your vehicle is loaded with cargo longer or wider than your vehicle or a trailer is connected to your vehicle
- There is a problem with the wheel alignment
- Your vehicle is leaned severely to one side
- Your vehicle is equipped with a trailer hitch
- The license plate is installed differently from the original location
- There is a person, animal or object above or below the ultrasonic sensor when Remote Smart Parking Assist is activated
- There is an obstacle such as a person, animal or object (trash can, bicycle, motorcycle, shopping cart, narrow pillar, etc.) near the parking space
- There is a circular pillar or narrow pillar, or a pillar surrounded by objects such as fire extinguisher, etc., near the parking space
- The road surface is bumpy (curbstone, speed bump, etc.)
- The road is slippery
- The parking space is near a vehicle with higher ground clearance or big, such as a truck, etc.
- The parking space is Inclined
- The road surface of parking space with lines is wet due to snow, puddles, or there is a road marker inside the parking space
- There is heavy wind
- Operating Remote Smart Parking Assist on uneven roads, gravel roads, bushes, etc.
- The performance of the ultrasonic sensor is affected by extremely hot or cold weather
- The ultrasonic sensor is covered with snow or water
- An object that generates ultrasonic waves is nearby
- A wireless device with a transmission function operates near the ultrasonic sensors
- Your vehicle is affected by another vehicle's Parking Distance Warning
- The sensor is mounted or positioned incorrectly by an impact to the bumper
- The ultrasonic sensor cannot detect the following objects when:
- Sharp or slim objects, such as ropes, chains or small poles
- Objects smaller than 100 cm (40 in.) in length and narrower than 14 cm (6 in.) in diameter
- Objects which tend to absorb sensor frequency, such as clothes, spongy material or snow
- A narrow object such as a corner of a square pillar
- Person, animal or object near the ultrasonic sensor
Remote Smart Parking Assist may not operate properly under the following circumstances:
- Parking on inclines
Park manually when parking on inclines.
- Parking in snow
Snow may interfere with sensor operation, or Remote Smart Parking Assist may cancel if the road is slippery while parking.
- Parking on uneven road
Remote Smart Parking Assist may cancel when the vehicle slips, or the vehicle cannot move due to road conditions such as pebbles or fragmented stones.
- Parking behind a truck
Do not use Remote Smart Parking Assist around vehicles with higher ground clearance, such as a bus, truck, etc. It may lead to an accident.
- Parking near a pillar
Remote Smart Parking Assist performance may reduce or collision with an obstacle may occur when there is a narrow object, circular pillar, square pillar, or a pillar surrounded by objects such as a fire extinguisher, etc., near the parking space. The driver should park the vehicle properly.
- Parking in a parking space with a vehicle on one side only
If Remote Smart Parking Assist is used, when parking in a parking space with a vehicle only on one side, your vehicle may cross the parking line to avoid the parked vehicle.
- Parking diagonal
Remote Smart Parking Assist does not provide diagonal parking. Even if your vehicle was able to enter the parking space, do not use Remote Smart Parking Assist because the function cannot operate properly.
- The driver is responsible for safe parking and exit when using Remote Smart Parking Assist.
- When using Remote Smart Parking Assist, stay out of the way in the direction the vehicle moves for your safety.
- Always check surroundings when
using Remote Smart Parking Assist.
You may collide with pedestrians, animals, or objects if they are near the sensor or are in the sensor's blind spot area.
- A collision may occur if a pedestrian, animal, or object suddenly appears while Remote Smart Parking Assist is operating.
- Do not use Remote Smart Parking Assist when under the influence of alcohol.
- Do not let children or other people to use the smart key.
- If Remote Smart Parking Assist is used continuously for a long period, it may adversely affect Remote Smart Parking Assist performance.
- Remote Smart Parking Assist may not operate properly if the vehicle needs wheel alignment adjustment such as when the vehicle tilts to one side. We recommend that you have your vehicle inspected by an authorized Kia dealer/service partner.
- Noise may be heard when braking occurs by Remote Smart Parking Assist or when the brake pedal is depressed by the driver.
- Remote Smart Parking Assist may suddenly apply the brake to avoid collision.
- Use Remote Smart Parking Assist only in a parking space that is large enough for the vehicle to move safely.
- If the 3rd stage warning (continuous beep) of the Forward/Reverse Parking Distance Warning sounds while Remote Smart Parking Assist is operating, it means the obstacle detected is close to your vehicle. At this time, Remote Smart Parking Assist will temporarily stop operating. Make sure there are no pedestrians, animals, or objects around your vehicle.
- Depending on brake operation, the stop lights may come on while the vehicle is moving.
- If the vehicle is remotely started that has been parked in cold weather for a long time, the operation of Remote Smart Parking function may be delayed or canceled depending on vehicle condition.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual