KIA Niro: Rear Brake
Rear Brake Disc Thickness Check
- Check the brake pads for wear and fade.
- Check the brake disc for damage and cracks.
- Remove all rust and contamination from the surface, and measure the disc thickness at 8 points, at least, of same distance (5mm) from the brake disc outer circle.
Brake disc thickness
Standard: 10 mm (0.39 in)
Service limit: 8.4 mm (0.33 in)
Deviation: less than 0.01 mm (0.0004 in)
- If wear exceeds the limit, replace the discs and pad assembly left and right of the vehicle.
Rear Brake Pad Check
- Check the pad wear. Measure the pad thickness and replace it, if it is less than the specified value.
Standard value: 10.0 mm (0.3937 in.)
Service limit: 2.0 mm (0.0787 in.)
- Check that grease is applied, to sliding contact points. Check for metal damage to the pad and backing.
Rear Brake Disc Runout Check
- Place a dial gauge about 5mm (0.2 in.) from the outer circumference of the brake disc, and measure the runout of the disc.
Brake disc runout Limit: 0.05 mm (0.002 in.) or less (new one)
- If the runout of the brake disc exceeds the limit specification, replace the disc, and then measure the runout again.
- If the runout does not meet the limit specification, remove the disc, turn it 180º and reinstall. Then check the runout of the brake disc again.
- If the runout cannot be corrected by changing the position of the brake disc, replace the brake disc.
- Check the drive shaft boots for loose clamps, cracks, grease leaks, kinks or damage.
Check whether the stroke is within specification when the parking brake pedal is depressed with 66 lb, 294 N(30 kg) of force. Also, the parking brake alone should securely hold the vehicle on a fairly steep grade. If the stroke is more or less than specified, have the parking brake adjusted by an authorized Kia dealer.
Stroke : 6 - 7 notch
- Check the steering wheel free road.
(1) Turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels can face straight ahead.
(2) Measure the distance the steering wheel can be turned without moving the front wheels.
Standard value: 30mm (1.18in.) or less
(3) If the play exceeds standard value, inspect the steering column, shaft, and linkages.
- Check the steering linkage for looseness or damage.
(1) Check that the dust parking and cap are not damaged.
(2) Check that the Bellows bands are not loose.
(3) Check that the steering gear box is not damaged.
(4) Check that the column and shaft are properly connected to the steering gear box.
Visually check, must be free from injurious flaw and crack.
Visually check the loose mount bolt.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual