KIA Niro: Starting the vehicle
Vehicles with smart key system
- Carry the smart key or leave it inside the vehicle.
- Make sure the parking brake is firmly applied.
- Place the shift dial in P (Park). With the shift dial in N (Neutral), you cannot start the vehicle.
- Depress the brake pedal.
- Press the ENGINE START/STOP button.
If the hybrid system starts, the READY indicator will come on.
Whether the engine is cold or warm, it should be started without depressing the accelerator.
After following the start procedures, READY indicator on the instrument cluster will turn on. For more details, please refer to "Starting the vehicle"
Economical and safe operation of Hybrid system
- Drive smoothly. Accelerate at a moderate
rate and maintain a steady
cruising speed. Do not make "jackrabbit"
starts. Do not race between stoplights.
Avoid heavy traffic whenever possible.
Always maintain a safe distance from other vehicles so you can avoid unnecessary braking. This also reduces brake wear out.
- The regenerative brake generates energy when the vehicle decelerates.
- When the hybrid battery power is low, the hybrid system automatically recharges the hybrid battery.
- When the engine is running with the shift dial in N (Neutral), the hybrid system cannot generate electricity. The hybrid battery cannot recharge with the shift dial in N (Neutral).
In the hybrid system, the engine automatically runs and stops. When the hybrid system operates, the READY indicator is appeared.
In the following situation, the engine may operate automatically.
- When the engine is ready to run.
- When the hybrid battery is being charged.
- Depending on the temperature condition of the hybrid battery.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual