KIA Niro: Starting the vehicle/ Stopping the vehicle
This section describes how to start and stop the vehicle, what is displayed on the various gauges and LCD displays, and so on.
Starting the vehicle
- Holding the smart key, sit in the driver's seat.
- Fasten the seat belt before starting the vehicle.
- Make sure to engage the parking brake.
- Check the position of the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal and the clearance with your right foot.
- Make sure to depress and hold the brake pedal.
- While depressing the brake pedal, shift to P (Park).
- Depress and hold the brake pedal while pressing the EV button.
- When the READY indicator is ON, you can drive the vehicle. When the READY indicator is OFF, you cannot drive the vehicle. Restart the vehicle.
Vehicle ON ? READY (green)
- Depress and hold the brake pedal and shift to the desired position
- Release the parking brake and slowly release the brake pedal. Check if the vehicle slowly moves forward, then depress the accelerator pedal.
Stopping the vehicle
- Hold down the brake pedal while the vehicle is parked.
- Shift to P (Park).
- Engage the parking brake.
- Press the EV button and turn off the vehicle.
- Check if the READY indicator is
turned OFF in the instrument cluster.
When the READY indicator in ON and the gear is in a position other than P (Park), the driver can accidentally depress the accelerator pedal, causing the vehicle to move unexpectedly.
Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)
The Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS) generates an engine sound for pedestrians to hear the vehicle because there is no sound while the Electric Vehicle (EV) is operating.
If the vehicle is in the ready mode and the gear is not in P (Park), the VESS will operate.
When the gear is shifted to R (Reverse), an additional warning sound will be heard.
The sound system only plays a supplementary role. The system is not designed to and does not replace the care of drivers. Drivers should always pay attention to their surroundings while driving.
- The vehicle does not generate an engine sound. Be aware of your driving environment and drive safely.
- After you park the vehicle or while you are waiting at a traffic light, check whether there are children or obstacles around the vehicle.
- Check if there is something behind
the vehicle when driving in reverse.
Pedestrians may not hear the sound of the vehicle.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual