KIA Niro: AC charge
* Actual charger image and charging method may vary in accordance with the charger manufacturer.
How to connect AC charger
- Depress the brake pedal and apply the parking brake.
- Turn OFF all switches, shift to P (Park), and turn OFF the vehicle. If charging is initiated without the gear in P (Park), the charging will start after the gear is automatically shifted to P (Park).
- Open the charging door.
For more details, refer to "Charging door"
- Check if there is dust on the charging connector and charging inlet.
- Hold the charging connector handle
and connect it to the vehicle charging
inlet. Push the connector all the way
in. If the charging connector and charging terminal are
properly, this may cause a fire.
For more details, refer to "Charging status"
- Connect the charging plug to the electric outlet at a AC charging station to start charging.
- Check if the charging indicator light
( ) of the high voltage battery
instrument cluster is turned ON.
Charging is not active when the charging indicator light ( ) is OFF.
When the charging connector and charging plug are not connected properly, reconnect the charging cable to charge.
- After charging has started, the estimated
charging time is displayed on
the instrument cluster for about 1
If you open the driver seat door while charging, the estimated charging time is also displayed on the instrument cluster for about 1 minute. When scheduled charging or scheduled air conditioner/heater is set, the estimated charging time is displayed as "- -".
A: Remaining Time
Checking charging status
When charging the high voltage battery, the charge level can be checked from outside the vehicle.
For more details, refer to "Charge indicator lamp for electric vehicle"
How to disconnect AC charger
- When charging is complete, remove the charging plug from the electrical outlet of the AC charging station.
- Hold the charging connector handle and pull it out.
- Make sure to completely close the charging door.
- Close the protection caps of the charging connector and the charging plug to protect them from foreign substances.
- If the personal charging connector is used, store the connector in the cable compartment.
- If you cannot open the charging door due to freezing weather, tap lightly or remove any ice near the charging door. Do not try to forcibly open the charging door. If you open it by force, the charging door may be damaged.
- Select EV ? setting icon on the screen ? Charging connector locking mode in the infotainment. The charging connector is locked in the inlet at a different period according to which mode is selected.
- Always lock mode: The connector locks when the charging connector is plugged into the charging inlet.
- Lock while charging mode: The connector locks when charging starts.
The infotainment system may change after software updates. For more information, refer to the manual provided in the infotainment system and the quick reference guide.
- Even though charging is possible with the EV button in the ON/START position, for you safety, start charging when the EV button is in the OFF position and the vehicle shifted to P (Park). After charging has started, you can use electrical components such as the radio by pressing the EV button to the ACC or ON position.
- During AC charging, the radio reception may be bad.
- During charging, the gear cannot be shifted from P (Park) to any other gear.
- Depending on the condition and durability of the high voltage battery, charger specifications, and ambient temperature, the time required for charging the battery may vary.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual