KIA Niro: Front Brake
Check the pads for excessive wear, discs for run out and wear, and calipers for fluid leakage.
Front brake disc thickness check
- Check the brake pads for wear and fade.
- Check the brake disc for damage and cracks.
- Remove all rust and contamination from the surface, and measure the disc thickness at 8 points, at least, of same distance (5mm) from the brake disc outer circle.
Front brake disc thickness
- Standard: 22 mm (0.8661 in)
- Service Limit: 20.0 mm (0.7874 in)
Deviation: Less than 0.005mm (0.0002in)
- If wear exceeds the limit, replace the discs and pad assembly left and right of the vehicle.
Front Brake Pad Check
- Check the pad wear. Measure the pad thickness and replace it, if it is less than the specified value.
Standard value: 11.0 mm (0.4331 in.)
Service limit: 2.0 mm (0.079 in.)
- Check that grease is applied, to sliding contact points. Check for metal damage to the pad and backing.
Front brake disc runout check
- Place a dial gauge about 5mm (0.2 in.) from the outer circumference of the brake disc, and measure the runout of the disc.
Brake disc runout
Limit: 0.04 mm (0.0016 in.) or less (new one)
- If the runout of the brake disc exceeds the limit specification, replace the disc, and then measure the runout again.
- If the runout does not meet the limit specification, remove the disc, turn it 180º and reinstall. Then check the runout of the brake disc again.
- If the runout cannot be corrected by changing the position of the brake disc, replace the brake disc.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual