KIA Niro: Remote Operation
Remote Operation operates in the following order:
- Getting ready to remotely move forward and backward
- Remotely moving forward and backward
1. Getting ready to remotely move forward and backward
There are two ways to operate Remote Operation function.
Method (1): Using the function with vehicle off
- Within a certain range from the vehicle press the door lock ( ) button on the smart key and lock all doors.
- Press and hold the Remote Start button ( ) within 4 seconds until the vehicle starts.
* For more details on remotely starting the vehicle, refer to "Starting the vehicle remotely (if equipped)"
Method (2): Using the function with vehicle on
A: REMOTE Parking instructions
1. Leave the vehicle (keep the key) and close the doors.
2. Press and hold the parking button on the Smart Key.
- Park the vehicle in front of the space where you want to use Remote Operation function, and shift the gear to P (Park).
- Press and hold the Parking/View ( ) button to turn on Smart Parking Assist. A message will appear on the infotainment system screen.
- Get out of the vehicle with the smart key and close all doors.
'Agree' must be selected on the infotainment system screen and the infotainment system has to operate properly to use Remote Operation function.
2. Remote Operation
- Press and hold one of the Forward
( ) or Backward ( ) button on the smart key.
- Remote Smart Parking Assist will
automatically control the steering wheel, vehicle speed and gear shift.
The vehicle will move in the direction of the button pressed.
- While Remote Operation function is operating, if the you let the button, the vehicle will stop and function control will pause. The function will start operating again when the button is pressed and held again.
- Hold down the Forward ( ) or Backward ( ) button until the vehicle reaches the target location.
- When Remote Operation is done, get in the vehicle with the smart key or press the Remote Start ( ) button on the smart key from outside the vehicle.
- The message will appear on the infotainment system screen. The vehicle will automatically shift to P (Park) and engage the parking brake.
- When the Remote Start ( ) button is pressed, the vehicle will turn off. If the driver is in the vehicle, the vehicle will retain ON position.
- Remote Operation can control the vehicle remotely using the smart key outside the vehicle.
- Check that all smart keys are outside the vehicle when using Remote Operation function.
- Remote Operation function will operate only when the smart key is within 4 m (13 ft.) from the vehicle. If there is no vehicle movement even when the Forward or Backward button is pressed on the smart key, check the distance to the vehicle and press the button again.
- The detecting range of the smart key may vary depending on the surroundings that are affected by radio waves such as transmission tower, broadcast station, etc.
- When remotely moving forward using
method (1), it is recognized as an exit
situation, and the vehicle moves 4 m
(13 ft.) to check for pedestrians, animals
or objects around the vehicle.
After confirmation, the steering wheel is controlled according to the condition ahead.
- When remotely moving forward using method (2), it is recognized as a parking situation, and will immediately control the steering wheel according to the condition ahead to assist with entering the parking space and aligning the vehicle. However, performance may reduce depending on the pedestrians, animals, shape of objects, location, etc., around the vehicle.
- For moving remotely backward, both method (1) and (2) aligns the steering wheel first, and then will only move the vehicle straight.
- When using Remote Operation function, make sure that all passengers have gotten out of the vehicle.
- If the vehicle's battery is discharged or Remote Smart Parking Assist malfunctions when parked in a narrow parking space, Remote Operation function will not operate. Always park your vehicle in a space wide enough for you to get in or out of your vehicle
- Please note that depending on the parking space, you may not be able to exit from the space you have entered by using Remote Operation function.
- After parking, the surrounding may change due to the movement of surrounding vehicles. If this occurs, Remote Operation function may not operate.
- Before leaving the vehicle, close windows and sunroofs, and make sure the vehicle is off before locking the doors.
- KIA Niro EV / Hybrid (SG2) - (2021-2023) - Owner's manual
- Kia Niro - First generation - (2017-2022) - Service and Repair Manual